AK-USA conversions

Hi, guys, I'm new here, sent over by Nalioth from THR. I'll be getting my first rifle soon, and I've chosen the Saiga 7.62x39mm. Obviously, I want to get it converted, but I'm really not all that sure I want to do it myself. I'm willing to shell out some money to have it done for me, but I definitely realize that I can get had. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations/comments about AK-USA's conversions, price, workmanship, etc. I'm especially worried about the unfinished section at the bottom of the converted rifle, I'd like to cover that with more than just spray paint. I also want to install an Ultimak rail tube, but I want to retain the Saiga handguard. That'll require some workmanship to notch it. Is it worth it? Should I try and do it myself and risk screwing up? Is there an easy way to refinish the bottom by myself?

Thanks everyone, and toodles.

-Nolo

AK-USA is top drawer all the way.

However, converting a 7.62x39 Saiga is so darned easy, I think it's a shame to pay someone else to do it.

You'll have no problems with it, if you know which end of a screwdriver is the business end.

AK-USA is top drawer all the way.

However, converting a 7.62x39 Saiga is so darned easy, I think it's a shame to pay someone else to do it.

You'll have no problems with it, if you know which end of a screwdriver is the business end.

Should I just send the receiver to be refinished then after I convert it?

Considering the least destructive demilling, all you'll really need a touch up on the bottom. Lots of folks use high temp engine paint.

Sending it out for a complete refinish seems a bit overkill to me, but it's up to you :)

Considering the least destructive demilling, all you'll really need a touch up on the bottom. Lots of folks use high temp engine paint.

Sending it out for a complete refinish seems a bit overkill to me, but it's up to you :)

Well, yeah, it seems like overkill. I'm just a rather obsessive person like that. :unsure:

i did a convert myself, and it wasn't as hard as i thought it would be. but i also had to cut my own PG hole b/c i had a dimpled gun, so a little extra time went into it but it was a fun project ;) I did weld up the holes on the receiver for a cleaner finish and i'm sending mine out for a little cerakoting.