noob question about bullet guides

The magazines that come with Saigas have a little "lip" in the front of the mag (compare it to a regular steel AK mag, side by side). So when using the AK mags, that don't have that "lip", the bullet guide replaces the job. It pushes the round upwards a little, to feed it.

Without it, the bullet would slam into the trunnion or the front of the chamber intermittantly. Some saiga's actually feed without them SOMETIMES. But that's hit or miss, and with SHTF guns, "sometimes" doesn't work.

Without it, the bullet would slam into the trunnion or the front of the chamber intermittantly. Some saiga's actually feed without them SOMETIMES. But that's hit or miss, and with SHTF guns, "sometimes" doesn't work.

My Saiga is a brand new 16 inch basic sporter that I got for 300 a couple of months ago. I bought 3 pro mags and later picked up 4 master molders.

I looked into a bullet guide but decided to wait until I had a chance to tweak the mags a bit. I used a factory 10 round as a guide, took some measurements with a caliper and filed the pro mags and master molders until they would snap into the gun. Mostly, they just needed a trim under the little bump in the rear that is held by the mag release- no more than 15-20 little strokes each. Took it out yesterday and every mag loaded every round perfectly. When I first tried the pro mags they were hard to insert and jammed every several rounds, and always on the last one.

All this without a bullet guide, so I'm not going to bother with it after all. What's weird, is the front lip on the factory, the pros and the masters are all different heights and shapes. Go figure...