Magazine modifications

This is not a new topic but I did not see an apparent on point discussion in any of the recent threads. If I install a bullet guide in my 7.62 Saiga as I work through the conversion what modifications will I have to make to a standard AK magazine (i.e. Bulgarian, Romanian, Polish, etc.) to get it to work reliably?

Will I have to perform all the operations Sheik lists in his conversion site, or was that specific to .223 caliber and the German magazines?

Your advice is appreciated. Many thanks.

Wolverine

If I remember right from all the things Ive read if you install the Bullet guide you can use standard magazines with only filing the catch down a little. If you dont want to add the bullet guide you can modify the mag by adding some metal to the front and filing the catch. And from what I gathered from the conversion web page if you use the bullet guide and do one modification to the mag release you can use any standard AK mag. According to this: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/step_10a.htm

Oh and if you dont want to do any of this just buy the factory 30rounders. I think the quality is excellent and at $28 a peice I dont think badly priced.

Edited by stokstad
This is not a new topic but I did not see an apparent on point discussion in any of the recent threads. If I install a bullet guide in my 7.62 Saiga as I work through the conversion what modifications will I have to make to a standard AK magazine (i.e. Bulgarian, Romanian, Polish, etc.) to get it to work reliably?

Will I have to perform all the operations Sheik lists in his conversion site, or was that specific to .223 caliber and the German magazines?

Your advice is appreciated. Many thanks.

Wolverine

If you have the guide installed, the standard AK mags can be used with the underside of the locking tab on the mag rear being draw filed a bit to fit the catch lever in the action -which is taller than a standard AK's (on purpose). Or, you could lower the height of the latch. That's it.

The mag mod to the .223 was specific to the East German Wieger mag.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Thanks guys. It'd worth putting the guide in if all you have to do is make one minor modification to magazines. I had a hunch the .223 caliber East German magazine fix was much more complicated than the average person would want to go through in light of the fact you can now buy 30 rd. 7.62 Saiga magazines.

Wolverine

I have a 7.62x39 rifle and I had the top of two 30 rnd. AK magazines arc welded and they shoot nicely. No more jams. Saiga 30 rnd magazines are available now and they are lighter weight than the steel ones. Another option is the bullet guide added to the rifle.

For .223 rifle owners I don't know what the differences are between the Saiga and the .223 AK mags

:sadam::killer:

Die terrorist scum!