I was under the impression that the grip hole in the receiver block would line up with trigger hole on the receiver. Am I poorly informed? Do I need to cut the square hole in the bottom of the receiver myself? The two red squares are where I thought it would line up:

post-10673-1213479160_thumb.jpg

I ordered the tromix DIY Trigger guard but it hasn't arrived yet. Where does the grip nut stick out of the receiver? Thanks for the help. This is the first gun mod I've ever done and I'm hoping you guys will be able to help make it awesome.

EDIT:

Okay I see my point of retardation. The whole of the trigger guard is on the outside of the receiver. it looks like what I will need to do is cut into the ace block where the bolt sticks up on the inside of the receiver.

Edited by Flex_BT
STOP.

You have an unconverted Saiga.

You will have to do a basic conversion before the ACE adapter will work.

Well I at least knew that part. I just got all of the parts in the mail for the whole conversion and this jumped out at me as a potential issue. I can see why you would have thought the worst after my post.

Edited by Flex_BT

Okay now I have a new problem.

I drilled out the rivets, removed all the internals as well as the tang at the back of the receiver. Everything went pretty well. I test fitted the ace block and it seems that the sides of it are too big to clear under the rivets that hold the trunion in place. Is this normal or did I screw something up? Here's some pics:

This is as far as it will slide in:

post-10673-1213495851_thumb.jpg

The rivet as it appears on the outside:

post-10673-1213495860_thumb.jpg

Here's what's making contact:

post-10673-1213495871_thumb.jpg

The same thing on the other side:

post-10673-1213495931_thumb.jpg

You're on the right track. The top front of the block needs ground/cut down to slide under that obstruction. In regards to your grip nut hole, there are templates on this site that show the exact measurements of where the square hole needs to be cut. The pistol grip nut will line up with the hole in the ace adapter block. Good luck!!

Edited by biskitz
you need to take about an 1/8 " off the front step going back about 3/4 of the way i should know i just did it and i have a nice dremel scar (not healed up yet ) to prove it :cryss:

Heh! The only thing that got scarred when I did it was the outside of the block when the tool caught and skipped out. It's the part against the inside receiver wall so no harm anyways. I just put a coat of rustoleum on the receiver block where it was cut as a test-run for whether or not to use it on the whole gun. I wasn't pumped about using rustoleum after the luke warm reviews on here but it was all they had at home depot and lowes. Luckily at lowes they did have the 3/16" nylon hole plugs! :super:

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm having a blast getting this done (which might change when its time to install the FCG / BHO I gather). I'm upset I have to wait at least until tomorrow for my trigger guard to show up but that's probably the best as I'll be forced to let the paint fully dry.

• 2 weeks later...
I was under the impression that the grip hole in the receiver block would line up with trigger hole on the receiver. Am I poorly informed? Do I need to cut the square hole in the bottom of the receiver myself? The two red squares are where I thought it would line up:

post-10673-1213479160_thumb.jpg

I ordered the tromix DIY Trigger guard but it hasn't arrived yet. Where does the grip nut stick out of the receiver? Thanks for the help. This is the first gun mod I've ever done and I'm hoping you guys will be able to help make it awesome.

EDIT:

Okay I see my point of retardation. The whole of the trigger guard is on the outside of the receiver. it looks like what I will need to do is cut into the ace block where the bolt sticks up on the inside of the receiver.

have u installed the trigger guard? how does it look?what cal saiga