Use Cetme Mag to build a high Cap Saiga Mag ?

Though I don't have a saiga 12, I had thought of the same thing. I think the only real concern would be how the magazine attaches to the gun. I also don't know about the size/shape of the magazine well, so that has to be taken into consideration also.

In addition, while I was at it, I tried 20 gauge shells in an M14 magazine; I think it held six or seven. The good thing about the cetme magazines is that you can get 30 round versions, which would obviously increase your capacity. I'm interested to hear how this turns out. Keep us posted on how it works. Good luck!

It's not even close. The Saiga mag tilts way forward like a 10mm MP5 mag in order to position the shell at an upward attack angle. The front catch on the G3 mag would need to be about 3/4" of an inch lower and the whole front end would need to be cut way down. It is possible to get it to work, but it is nowhere near as easy as the pics imply. The Saiga can feed rounds fine if they go high out of the mag, since there is a barrel hood extension on the top of the barrel similar to a Coonan .357 Mag barrel. The Saiga does not feed well at all with a low feed position out of the magazine.

As for mag follower....... I was think, if you open the mag, can we use the botton part of mags and reseve use as follower ???

k, here is how it go, you open the mag and you got this

22866DSCF6576-u.jpg

and you just flip the spring around

22866DSCF6575-d.jpg

put it back together, and you got a Mag follower

22866DSCF6582-T.jpg

um.... uh....

well.....

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. You would definately (as I see it) need another of those plates to go at the bottom of the spring. Otherwise I don't want to think of how many ways that could go wrong...

Either way, try it, by all means. I'm curious to see the results.

Just an after-thought: you might want to see if there are any single shot followers for M14 magazines. For some reason I'm thinking there are. Even if they didn't fit as is, I'm sure they could be made to fit (assuming they exist). Well, that should be all for now. Please, keep us posted. Good luck.

.....Thanks for posting those pics Bluejack....As I don't have my mags yet (they were oredered yesterday) it give me an ideea of what I'm dealing with here...'Atchilly', making the follower from scratch wouldn't be 'rocket surgery' & might be better functionally.................

And why does the follower matter?

These are not "stacked" shells....they are just one on top of eachother. If they fit in the mag then why worry about the follower?

Is the pic posted of the 20 rounder? Where do you find 30 rounders online? Also how many 12 guage shells fit in the 20?

Edited by swiftvision
You guys still have to solve the feed lip/interface with gun problem.

In another couple of months I should know whether or not it'd be feasible to make a run of US-made Saiga 12 mags in 5, 8, or both.

...The feed-lip/shell deformation thing is my real motivation hence the add-on mag-well setup that I'm tinkering with.......As I stated in another post, I would be perfectly happy with 5 0r 6 rounders that loaded rapidly & didn't 'squish' shells into an oval..............

....Perhaps you can see where I'm coming from with this drawing.....

post-2-1104268314.jpg

Edited by Oldwheat

Problem with that design: If a shell slides forwards in the magazine, its front end will get stuck under the feed ramp. If you angle the bottom side of the feed ramp, you create a binding problem.

A possible alternative solution is combining the bolt hold-open device with a follower that holds the bolt open on the last shot... but that would require some work on the gun itself to implement, and from what I've seen of the hold-open device, might not be compatible with Saiga-12s converted to AK stocks (trigger group too far forward).

You mentioned "loading rapidly." Is there a problem with the current Saiga magazines? I don't have mine yet.

I think the reduced magazine spring strength solution is the most viable idea yet.

Edited by CrazyJ

cut the ( i dont know what to call them maybe feed lips or something?) but the shell holders on the back to the size of the ones on the saiga mags and then see how the shell "rides" then see what has to be done from there...the pic the guy photoshopped see how its cut back in the pic thats what i'm talking about gring trhose away and then see what it does to the shell it might give the front more lift like the saiga mag

What do you define is cheap, keeping in mind that current production American rifle OR pistol magazines usually start at $30 and go up from there?

Well, I get top of the line 30 round M16 mags for $10, I get 17 round glock mags for $10, I can just about anything else for under $30 and all that stuff is in stock.

I Can't even get 5 rounders if I wanted them.

ALready done some fooling with FAL mags.

I believe it could be made to work, but not without major overhaul of the magazine itself. There can be no simple "adapter" to make .308 mags work in their present state, as the design is totally incorrect for 12 gauge feeding.

First, the locking mechanism would have to be matched with the Saiga.

Secondly, the feed lip geometry would have to be milled to match the Saiga.

Lastly- and I can't believe no one's mentioned it yet- the 30 round mag bodies are about the same size as the 5 round magazine.

One would have to chop two, reweld, then fuse the springs to make the magazine hold more rounds than the readily available 5 rounders already do.

Plus, either fabricate or replace the 7.62 NATO follower.

Tony mentioned that the feed angle has a pronounced "upward" sweep- I don't see that. I definitley see curvature in the mag body itself, but the feed angle seems to be pretty horizontal to me. I think the curvature in the magazine body has to do with handling of the weapon more than anything... One thing that is noticable with the surrogate .308 magazine and it's "vertical" positioning is it really alters the handling of the weapon- make that magazine body much longer, and the gun is a whole new ballgame, whereas the angled Saiga magazine keeps the bottom profile of the gun much slimmer.

Anyway, that's as far as my experimenting and thinking takes me.