Question on DIY Trigger Guard Install

The two front holes on my DIY guard do not line up with the old existing rivet holes. It looks best with the middle hole lined up, but the front hole is forward of the DIY guard and overlapped about halfway. I assume it's OK to re-drill this hole which will make it oval. The middle hole should keep things aligned.

Now the rear hole of the DIY guard. It's right in the middle of the stock grip nut rectangular hole. The enclosed washer barely goes over the edge. Doesn't seem wide enough to provide adequate support for the grip? Is this normal with the offset forward hole and the rear hole hanging in the grip nut slot?

Guard in place, lined up with middle hole showing overlap in forward hole.

Picture001-1.jpg

Overall shot of guard placement. I assume this is right? Grip nut slot peeking to rear of new guard.

Picture002-1.jpg

Guard offset to show relative positions and size of grip nut slot and washer. Lined up with middle holes

Picture003-1.jpg

Mine was slightly off the factory hole but not as much as yours. If I layed the part down on the receiver it would show that it was slightly bent inwards. I put the screw in the middle hole, then pulled lightly on the front of the trigger guard and the hole lined up and the part was flush all the way across the receiver. The washer should be plenty big enough to go over the old trigger hole without a problem. Remember if you're using an ace internal receiver block you'll have to do additional modifications to it in order to get it to work with this part.

Yea, I figured out the offset hole. Mine also springs into place and remains flat. Not sure what the Ace internal block is, so I guess I'm not using it! Still wish the rear washer was larger or thicker if possible. Seems like this bolt-up will be under tension from the grip torquing when firing. Tension will tend to pull the washer into the hole. If it's compression I wouldn't worry about the washer.

Someone just PMed me with a question about the internal Ace block and what holds it in place when using the Tromix DIY TG. Thought I might as well clear that up here in case it helps someone else...

It would also apply to the other one that is out now.

Normally with a conversion you cut a square hole in the receiver that the PG bushing fits into. That bushing is what holds the Ace internal block in place at the bottom, and the top is held by one screw, under the recoil spring button.

Since with this type of setup, there is no hole for the PG bushing, I assume one would have to drill and tap a hole or two in the bottom of the receiver and put a fastener through the internal block to be held by the hole, or holes in the receiver. They would be located in a place that would be hidden by the PG.

Is this correct Tony? Or did you intend for them to use some sort of bushing or washer across the square cutout in the internal block and just fasten to your existing threaded hole?

Seems to me it would be easiest to just drill another hole through the internal block, in the center and behind the cutout, then put something like a machine screw and nut through there to hold it.

Never thought of this before with these new DIY TG systems.

Hmmm...after looking at the above pics again (thanks Rusty) it looks like the threaded rear hole in the TG should probably line up with the solid portion of the internal block and only require marking it and drilling it there for the fastener provided. (assuming it's long enough)

Is that right?

Edited by Cobra 76 two
correction...

The screws provided are "just" long enough it seems to prevent them from poking out the bottom. Not a whole lot of threads engaged. I've never seen one of those Ace things, but if it's too thick, you may need a longer screw.