I was told by a reputable NY member here that there is a lot of gray area with NY and Saiga shotguns. One thing is pretty clear, you can't do a full PG conversion on a Saiga shotgun in NY. As far as the 10 round mags, it's another gray area. Some say you can use them, some cay you can't, regardless of 922r. It all depends on how you read NY's AWB.

So NY bullshit aside, do you need to comply with 922r with the use of 10 round mags in a Saiga shotgun? Go a little ways down the first post, to "Grey Areas", and it says a shotgun mag over 5 rounds brings you into the "need-to-comply-with-922r" status, but it also states that there is no clear definitions stating it. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=18530 .

So again, who really knows?

But if you DO need to comply, the mag itself is 3 US parts. So if you're Saiga is NOT threaded for chokes, you're good to go. If it IS, you'll need to swap out 1 more part for a US made one.

• 1 month later...

This issue (NY Laws) has been addressed here on the forum before and I am responding because of a confusion that I have. IndyArms posted about this before but after reading that topic I still had one question that needed clarification.

"Edited to cross-link Indys Post:" http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=26422

The law states that a semi-auto shotgun is an "assault weapon" if it has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

So, the question lies in this. Are they implying two evils are OK or two evils are illegal? Indy leads me to believe that only one is legal, two or more is illegal. If two evils are illegal then no way can a Saiga shotgun be converted because of characteristic 2 and 4. If two evils are OK then a rifle with a folding stock and pistol grip would be OK. My take on all of this is that ONLY ONE evil is allowed. Do any New Yorkers care to chime in? I am planning on moving back in January and I want to make certain that my rifle is in compliance.... I have the feeling that my Ace folding block might be going up under WTS on the cheap.

It shall be unlawful to possess any "assault weapon" or a "large capacity ammunition feeding device". So called "assault weapons" lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994 and "large capacity ammunition feeding devices" manufactured prior to such date are grandfathered.

An "assault weapon" means (A) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher.

(B a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Edited by moxie1c

no no no.

How it works, is because the saiga 12 already HAS the detachable magazine, you cannot add a SECOND feature to it, as the mag is one of the listed "evil" features that endanger the innocent public, and you cannot have another.

on a RIFLE, it has a detachable magazine, so it can only have ONE of the things on that list, not TWO or MORE "evil" features that endanger the public. In other words, you cannot have the folder on it, or if you did, it has to be permanently fixed in the open position.

sorry, moxie

Im still wondering where the government keeps the definition of "dangerous knife" , as NY law refers to them as. I know a switchblade isnt considered a "dangerous knife" in NY, because you can carry one while fishing. Apparantly, there are "dangerous animals" our there like "snapping turtles" and all that fun stuff. I wonder if those same "dangerous animals" give any preference to being shot with my father's old single shot sears special 12 gauge, or my saiga-12 with ten rounds in it. I know the deer dont seem to have a preference! I am fairly certain that deer are anti-gun, just the same as the politicians around the country, but then again, we dont eat politicians (yet).

the main thing I miss about home, is what it once was, before the shitheads fucked it up.