Build Progress/Lessons Learned

From Show Me Thread:

I've been working on this for a couple of months. Almost done.

saiga%20016%20[640x480].JPG

So far:

Polychoke

Tromix Hand Guard and bracketTromix Rail Kit

Vertical Grip

Tromix Gas Piston

Ultimak Rail

Aimpoint Micro T1 Red Dot

AK SAW Grip

G2 FCG

Tromix DIY Trigger Guard

Stock Adapter

Folding Mechanism

Tromix Stock w/Limbsaver

2 AGP Clear 10 rd

2 AGP Black 10 rd

Removed Scope Mount

Polished internals

To Go:

TIG up holes

2 MD Drums

Drop Free Magwell (when available)

LRBHO (when available)

Duracoat Finish (got the certificate,

just need to decide what)

Next phase:

100% reliability with low recoil slugs and

3 gun/multigun birdshot loads.

I wanted to update after range visit and mods on magazines. First, I was intrigued by one member's post on putting a pin in APG 10 rd mags. Even with bolt polishing and some relieving, it was difficult to load full 10 rd magizines with the bolt closed. Until I get a good reliable LRBHO device, I will be shooting 9 and changing magazines on a closed bolt. Here are some pictures of my placement of a pin.Basically, it goes smacl dab in the middle of the top small rectangle formed by the reinforcement ribs:

Saiga%20Mags%20001%20-%20Copy%20[640x480].JPGSaiga%20Mags%20002%20-%20Copy%20[640x480].JPGSaiga%20Mags%20004%20[640x480].JPG

As you can see, the 9th round is pushed against the pin (pop rivet) and the rivet is across the brass (low brass load) of the round. The next picture shows a 10th round placed on top of the rivet. Saiga%20Mags%20013%20[640x480].JPG

I found out there is just enough tension to lightly hold the round in place. The great thing about this setup is that when you insert the mag into the gun, it goes in with very little effort and as you rotate to lock in place (actually depress the top round slightly) if you have the gun rotated slightly, the pop rivet falls out and all of the shell rotate into their normal position.

On reliability, I shot 4 magazines with a mixed load like shown in the picture in my first post. These were a bunch of odds and ends picked up when I RO'ed the Ft Benning 3 Gun Match. So far, no malfunctions of any kind. 20 from the shoulder and 20 from the hip. I plan on shooting at least another 150 in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted on results.

I wanted to update after range visit and mods on magazines. First, I was intrigued by one member's post on putting a pin in APG 10 rd mags. Even with bolt polishing and some relieving, it was difficult to load full 10 rd magizines with the bolt closed. Until I get a good reliable LRBHO device, I will be shooting 9 and changing magazines on a closed bolt. Here are some pictures of my placement of a pin.Basically, it goes smacl dab in the middle of the top small rectangle formed by the reinforcement ribs:

Saiga%20Mags%20001%20-%20Copy%20[640x480].JPGSaiga%20Mags%20002%20-%20Copy%20[640x480].JPGSaiga%20Mags%20004%20[640x480].JPG

As you can see, the 9th round is pushed against the pin (pop rivet) and the rivet is across the brass (low brass load) of the round. The next picture shows a 10th round placed on top of the rivet. Saiga%20Mags%20013%20[640x480].JPG

I found out there is just enough tension to lightly hold the round in place. The great thing about this setup is that when you insert the mag into the gun, it goes in with very little effort and as you rotate to lock in place (actually depress the top round slightly) if you have the gun rotated slightly, the pop rivet falls out and all of the shell rotate into their normal position.

On reliability, I shot 4 magazines with a mixed load like shown in the picture in my first post. These were a bunch of odds and ends picked up when I RO'ed the Ft Benning 3 Gun Match. So far, no malfunctions of any kind. 20 from the shoulder and 20 from the hip. I plan on shooting at least another 150 in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted on results.

AHHHH it'll run perfect for all the practice sessions. Not ONE failure, but I swear Saigas hear the beep of a TIMER and all bets are off......

At the moment I just have a manual bolt hold open and a LRBHO kit still in the bag waiting... In the Recent MGM Ironman, what did was, simply pull the bolt back with my right thumb and lock the bolt open with a push up from my middle finger.

Then swap mags.

The LRBHO will speed things up by the fact that you won't pull the trigger on and empty chamber, as such you will start the reload that much faster.

In addition to Scaring the Saiga, the Beep of a timer also erases all prior planning for the stage as well. So it is a rare instance when I know for sure I have just expended exactly 10 rounds and make the change. I NEED a LRBHO alas. A mag well wouldn't hurt either.

By the way I like the pop rivet idea ALOT.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

member3941.png

Very nice build! I have done 90% of my parts collection and will soon build mine! I have two questions.

1. How do you like the Tromix handguard? Does it mount securely? The last Tapco Galil I tried was disappointing and this looks like a cleaner/easier solution as well as an improvement over the OEM handguard.

2. How long is your barrel from the end of the Polychoke to the edge of the chamber of the barrel. I am thinking of cutting mine back to 18.25".

Very nice build! I have done 90% of my parts collection and will soon build mine! I have two questions.

1. How do you like the Tromix handguard? Does it mount securely? The last Tapco Galil I tried was disappointing and this looks like a cleaner/easier solution as well as an improvement over the OEM handguard.

2. How long is your barrel from the end of the Polychoke to the edge of the chamber of the barrel. I am thinking of cutting mine back to 18.25".

I like the Tromix handguard but there is just little play radially. Not a problem for me. It's held up to my tests so far with the verticle handgrip. Like the look much better than the original.

I have a 19" barrel. With the Polychoke it's 21 1/2" overall. If you weld on the Poly I would imagine it becomes part of the barrel for ATF purposes but if you just screw it on, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. For me it wasn't worth the trouble anyway.

The AGP Gen 2 magazines can be loaded with full magazines. With practice, I have been under 3 seconds shot to aimed shot. The best I have been with a mag well is 1.99 seconds.

I carry my magazines "shells up", with about half the magazine exposed above the pouch.

Shaving the underside of the bolt "Tromix style" is a must.

An extended magazine release is mandatory.

In the 3 gun matches I shoot, the normal stage has series of arrays, all under ten rounds. I just change magazines after every array.

The drill is: shoot, push extended magazine release (most of the time the magazine still sticks in the gun). At the same time grab the closest mag about half way down. Punch the mag in the gun to clear it from the gun, rock and lock the new mag, Shoot. I like grabbing the magazine half way down its body, because it give me better control.

If you run out of rounds or use the bolt hold open, you are going to lose against good competitors.

The AGP Gen 2 magazines can be loaded with full magazines. With practice, I have been under 3 seconds shot to aimed shot. The best I have been with a mag well is 1.99 seconds.

I carry my magazines "shells up", with about half the magazine exposed above the pouch.

In the 3 gun matches I shoot, the normal stage has series of arrays, all under ten rounds. I just change magazines after every array.

The drill is: shoot, push extended magazine release (most of the time the magazine still sticks in the gun). At the same time grab the closest mag about half way down. Punch the mag in the gun to clear it from the gun, rock and lock the new mag, Shoot. I like grabbing the magazine half way down its body, because it give me better control.

If you run out of rounds or use the bolt hold open, you are going to lose against good competitors.

What kind of mag pouches are you using?

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

member3941.png

Home made.

Got some canvas from the local "sewing materials" store (where all the old ladies shop), and made my own. It took two prototypes before I got it right.

I suppose the the vest guy could make a "3 magazine with the rounds up mag pouch" for you.

What kind of mag pouches are you using?

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

member3941.png