Going to attempt a 7.62 conversion finally..

After reading about it and watching videos about it for the past year, I've finally decided to try and attempt to convert my unfired dimpled Saiga 7.62..

So far, I'm ordering the following parts:

Tapco G2 Single Hook Trigger Group ($30)

Tapco T6 Collapsible stock ($50)

Tapco SAW Style Pistol Grip ($20)

Tapco AK Retaining Plate ($12) - Any modification needed for Saiga? Is there a better retaining plate to use on a Saiga 7.62?

Tapco AK Grip Screw and Bushing ($8)

Right at $120.00. Not that bad, I suppose.

+ Nylon hole plugs at hardware store

I'm also going to have to drill out a pistol grip hole, which is about the only part of the conversion I'm not looking forward to. (I would just buy another non-dimpled Saiga to convert if they weren't ridiculously priced now).

Is there anything else that I should pick up before starting? Any special screw sets or posts or anything like that? Everything listed above shouldn't require any additional parts or pieces to install, correct? I don't think I'm forgetting anything, but who knows. I've watched the videos and read about it, but I'm still second-guessing myself when it comes to having everything needed before I start. :unsure: I have a multi-speed Craftsman rotary Dremel type tool with the "flex shaft" attachment for better control, so I hope I don't need any other tools, other than a screwdriver and a drill for the PG hole. :cryss:

Your list looks good to me :up: . You'll want a bullet guide if you plan on using regular AK mags, unless you have some of those mags that don't require the guide.

You're replacing 4 foreign parts with US made ones, so you're set on compliance, and can use any mags you want. No modification is needed for the retaining plate use in a Saiga.

So man up and start the conversion! :D

I'm not thrilled with your choice of furniture, but hey, it's your gun. When I did mine I also went with the T6 stock and saw grip but quickly changed it. As far as your parts lists goes, you're all set unless you want to use standard AK magazines. If you want to use standard magazines you're gonna need a bullet guide from Dinzag arms.

I'm not thrilled with your choice of furniture, but hey, it's your gun. When I did mine I also went with the T6 stock and saw grip but quickly changed it. As far as your parts lists goes, you're all set unless you want to use standard AK magazines. If you want to use standard magazines you're gonna need a bullet guide from Dinzag arms.

Yeah, I put in a bullet guide months ago (think I muffed up the threads, so I'm about to loctight it and put something under the guide to hold it forever) but never took the next step.

The only reason I was thinking about the T6 collapsible stock is that I don't really want to cut the tang and I kind of like being able to adjust the stock length. Looks wise, I've actually always hated how the AR/M16 style stock looks on an AK. :unsure:

What was your preference, furniture wise? I'd like a folder, but I really don't want to cut the tang for an internal block.. I'd also like a grip with some type of finger grooves maybe. I'm assuming that the Tapco SAW style grip is made about the same as it is with the 10/22 stock kit, and if so, I would kind of like something a little more solid feeling on the AK.. although I'm not a big fan of the standard AK grip look.

After a few hundred rounds through mine and my opinion of the Tapco saw grip feels like a hollow chintzy piece of crap. Feels like a toy part on a battle rifle.

If you do get the saw grip.... it comes with a screw so you don't need the long AK one.

I'm on the hunt for a new grip as we speak.

After a few hundred rounds through mine and my opinion of the Tapco saw grip feels like a hollow chintzy piece of crap. Feels like a toy part on a battle rifle.

If you do get the saw grip.... it comes with a screw so you don't need the long AK one.

I'm on the hunt for a new grip as we speak.

So far the only thing I've paid for is the G2 trigger group for 29 bucks shipped.. I think I'll keep looking around for some better looking / sturdier furniture before I just jump on the T6 / SAW. Just kind of eager to get it converted. :smoke:

If you've got the bucks go with an Ace stock. The folder I got from the last group buy is absolutely incredible! I have no regrets with Ace and I will get another one for my next conversion. I know that you do not want to cut the tang but honestly....I don't miss it one bit.

If you've got the bucks go with an Ace stock. The folder I got from the last group buy is absolutely incredible! I have no regrets with Ace and I will get another one for my next conversion. I know that you do not want to cut the tang but honestly....I don't miss it one bit.

I'm not confident enough to chop the ass of the receiver off yet. Plus I don't really have the right tools to do it proper at the moment.. I'll probably try it on another Saiga if my first conversion goes smooth.

Has anyone used the Ace universal receiver blocks? I'm kind of wondering how sturdy folding stocks feel using it..

I'm not confident enough to chop the ass of the receiver off yet. Plus I don't really have the right tools to do it proper at the moment.. I'll probably try it on another Saiga if my first conversion goes smooth.

Has anyone used the Ace universal receiver blocks? I'm kind of wondering how sturdy folding stocks feel using it..

I have used the ACE universal receiver blocks. Properly installed (which is easy) they are very solid. As I'm sure you know, they do not require that the tang be cut off of the receiver. Some people don't like how they look, but they seem OK to me. ACE does offer collapsible folding stocks that can fit on the universal receiver block with the use of an adapter. If you go with an ACE stock, I recommend that you buy from someplace like Blackjackbuffers. I have been singularly unimpressed with ACE's direct shipping service.

I have used the ACE universal receiver blocks. Properly installed (which is easy) they are very solid. As I'm sure you know, they do not require that the tang be cut off of the receiver. Some people don't like how they look, but they seem OK to me. ACE does offer collapsible folding stocks that can fit on the universal receiver block with the use of an adapter. If you go with an ACE stock, I recommend that you buy from someplace like Blackjackbuffers. I have been singularly unimpressed with ACE's direct shipping service.

I ordered all my parts the other night. Hopefully I'll have it converted with pictures by this weekend, assuming everything arrives in time.

I went with the Ace internal block and purchased it from Ace's website. Hope they don't take too long to ship it. :cryss:

I ordered all my parts the other night. Hopefully I'll have it converted with pictures by this weekend, assuming everything arrives in time.

I went with the Ace internal block and purchased it from Ace's website. Hope they don't take too long to ship it. :cryss:

I really hope ACE does better for you than they did for me. I ordered a skeleton stock with the universal receiver block (as a package). Neither of the items was on backorder. The stock took at least two weeks to arrive, but it arrived without the receiver block. The receiver block then took another month to arrive. I contacted them several times about it. Their only excuse was that they were busy and the package was held up in their shipping department. There had recently been a change in management. Maybe they have the kinks worked out now. Anyway, their products are excellent. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing the pictures.

I really hope ACE does better for you than they did for me. I ordered a skeleton stock with the universal receiver block (as a package). Neither of the items was on backorder. The stock took at least two weeks to arrive, but it arrived without the receiver block. The receiver block then took another month to arrive. I contacted them several times about it. Their only excuse was that they were busy and the package was held up in their shipping department. There had recently been a change in management. Maybe they have the kinks worked out now. Anyway, their products are excellent. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Got everything in the mail today for my conversion other than the Ace block. Kind of disappointed in the Tromix stock, guess I didn't realize it was the synthetic type shit. Was thinking it was aluminum based on all of the pictures I've seen (and the price) of it. Kind of a ridiculous price for what it is. Kind of wish I would have went with Ace.

The Tapco SAW grip is alot sturdier than I was expecting, thought it would be kinda like the 10/22 version, but I dig it.

Hopefully Ace ships my shit soon so I can convert. :super:

most of the after market AK grips fill hollow/chezzy maybe try a ergo if not take your grip and fill halfway or full with fiberglass/bondo it will ad a little weight,also try this with a tapco/kvar AK stock,I did this on my factory 308 stock before I converted and it was fine,you could also use calk or the exspanding spray foam for less weight