Lever next to Rear Sight

With the bolt carrier removed flip the lever up to remove the gas tube.

Well, I wouldn't say just 'flip the lever up' - my experience has been: Grab a Set of Pliers & hang on to the lip of the Lever, after spraying w/ some CLP or something, and try to 'move' it to the 10 'oclock position.

Yes, that is how you remove the gas tube to clean it out (it gets nasty)

Then take your Pliers (after reinserting it properly) and push the Lever down to about the 7 or 8 'oclock position to lock in place.

That's how I've had to do it multiple times, on multiple Saigas...It Still can't be 'flipped' by hand on mine.

Wear gloves if you try to do it by hand. You can lose a big chunk of flesh trying to do this the first time around.

Also, Superhawk already mentioned it but make sure the bolt carrier is removed. I've had my .308 for some time now and sometimes that one still gets me.

Also, Superhawk already mentioned it but make sure the bolt carrier is removed. I've had my .308 for some time now and sometimes that one still gets me.

You have no idea how good your response made me feel. Do you know how much of a dumbass I felt like when I just COULD NOT get the damned gas tube off my Saiga? It was driving me crazy, and I didn't want to start really prying on the tube for fear of damaging it - then it hit me. I must've let out some sort of audible signal, because my wife said, "What did you screw up?" "Ummmm...nothing. I think I've got it figured out now..."

Glad I'm not the only "old noob" around!

:)

Mike

PS: And yes, it IS really hard to move it on my Saiga. My Norinco MAK-90 is much easier, and doesn't take pliers; just a couple fingers do the trick. And I actually remembered to remove the bolt carrier first on that one... ;)

Thanks

I use a steel slotted tip (used to slip cleaning patches through). It fits the lever tip perfectly and lets me lift it up straight. It has to be steel, brass will break. I got mine in a mil-surp cleaning kit.

louielouie

Look on the side of the "tool capsule" that came with your rifle. It will have a properly sized notch that is made just for lifting up on that latch. It makes it a piece of cake, seriously...try it before you grab you pliers.

Tool capsule? I wish... My Saiga came only with the rifle, and little instruction manual, and one 10-round mag. No tools, no nuthin' else.

Look on the side of the "tool capsule" that came with your rifle. It will have a properly sized notch that is made just for lifting up on that latch. It makes it a piece of cake, seriously...try it before you grab you pliers.

Tool capsule? I wish... My Saiga came only with the rifle, and little instruction manual, and one 10-round mag. No tools, no nuthin' else.

This is the cleaning kit shell being referred to:

caseguide1mh1.jpg

For more information on how to use it: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/toolkit.htm

P.S. If you didn't get a cleaning kit in the box with your new Saiga rifle, you got ripped off. . . .

P.S. If you didn't get a cleaning kit in the box with your new Saiga rifle, you got ripped off. . . .

Yeah, but that's okay, since mine was in the $150 range when I got it... Now if I bought one at the prices they're going for now, I'd probably be a little bent that I didn't get all the toys! :)

Mike

some vendors sell them without the OEM 10 round magazine that comes with 'em, but they will then turn around and offer to sell it to you separately. Rather cheap move in my opinion, and since they are members here, you know who you are.......................... :anger:

This is the cleaning kit shell being referred to:

caseguide1mh1.jpg

For more information on how to use it: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/toolkit.htm

Yours came in a box?!? :devil:

Mine was only $150 as well when I got it, can't complain much for that price...

As Nalioth (and a few others) say, use the slot on the wonderful tool kit you get w/ your Saiga to move the Gas Tube Lever Up to remove the Tube. It really works - unless you Don't have a tool kit....just use pliers (Carefully) if you don't.

Either way, You take out the bolt/piston first, then move the lever up to the 'roughly' 10 o'clock pos. then try to pop off the Gas Tube - in an Upward Motion.

If it doesn't want to pop off - move the lever just a bit each way as you keep trying. If that doesn't work, (with the lever @ 10 - 11 o'clock) TAP Gently, then Harder if needed, in an upward motion, on the small Flange you see on the Tube. Use a small hammer & Screw Driver placed on the small flange and it will pop off - just be very carefull !

Once you clean it Completely the first time, the gun will really free up and start to be Nice and Smooth! You still may have some minor trouble w/ the Gas Tube though - I still do on all mine. But the Action really starts to free up and feel nice after a few Firing/Cleaning cycles...Good Luck!

Edited by BullShark012