922r newb questions, please help!

Hi guys,

I'm new to guns and especially Saigas. I'm trying to wrap my head around the 922r compliance laws. I'm a bit confused about certain things though.

So, basically by changing ANYTHING on the rifle that designates it as anything other than a "sporter" rifle, will require that I have 10 or less foreign made parts? Even if the said part is American made? Does this mean that even the stock factory parts count as imported violations if the rifle is converted into anything other than a "sporter"?

Example: If I want to ONLY add an American made pistol grip to a STOCK Saiga 7.62, I will need to add other parts to make it compliant, since it is no longer in "sporter" configuration? This is one area I'm having the issue with.

On my 7.62, I'd ideally like to have: pistol grip, 15 round magazine, new front AK style furniture, and a different buttstock.

Will I need to add anything else, or am I good if all parts are American made?

I guess the bottom line of my question is: If ALL of my added parts are American made, do I need to worry about 922r compliance at all?

Thanks for any help guys. I've read the stickies and links, but am still a bit confused.

-Joe

Edited by JDNJ1985
So, basically by changing ANYTHING on the rifle that designates it as anything other than a "sporter" rifle, will require that I have 10 or less foreign made parts? Even if the said part is American made? Does this mean that even the stock factory parts count as imported violations if the rifle is converted into anything other than a "sporter"?
If you make it capable of accepting 11+ round magazines, you've taken it out of the "sporting purpose" category.

Example: If I want to ONLY add an American made pistol grip to a STOCK Saiga 7.62, I will need to add other parts to make it compliant, since it is no longer in "sporter" configuration? This is one area I'm having the issue with.

On my 7.62, I'd ideally like to have: pistol grip, 15 round magazine, new front AK style furniture, and a different buttstock.

Well, you'll also need a new fire control group (which equals 3 US parts) if you want to change to a pistol grip / standard buttstock configuration.
I guess the bottom line of my question is: If ALL of my added parts are American made, do I need to worry about 922r compliance at all?

Thanks for any help guys. I've read the stickies and links, but am still a bit confused.

You should ask about any particular points you are confused about. Knowing the law only helps you. We're not gonna be answering the questions, you know . . .
If you make it capable of accepting 11+ round magazines, you've taken it out of the "sporting purpose" category.

Well, you'll also need a new fire control group (which equals 3 US parts) if you want to change to a pistol grip / standard buttstock configuration.

You should ask about any particular points you are confused about. Knowing the law only helps you. We're not gonna be answering the questions, you know . . .

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yeah, I have read the laws a few times, and will go over them again. I get the idea, but there are a couple of grey areas that are confusing to me.

This is what my parts list looks like at the moment:

-USA Buttstock

-USATrigger assembly (3)

-USA Gas Piston

-USA Handguards

-USA magazine (3)

-USA pistol grip

A couple questions though. I realize that the hand guards count as a part, but since the Saiga only has a lower, would the upper hand guard count if I went with an AK front end?

Also, since the Saiga doesn't have a pistol grip stock, then the added pistol grip would need another part to be compliant?

See, these are the areas where I'm confused.

Thanks for any help and I apologize in advance for my newb questions.

-Joe

A couple questions though. I realize that the hand guards count as a part, but since the Saiga only has a lower, would the upper hand guard count if I went with an AK front end?
Both lower handguard and gas tube cover (upper handguard) count as ONE part. Both must be made in the USA to count as US made.

Also, since the Saiga doesn't have a pistol grip stock, then the added pistol grip would need another part to be compliant?
Stock saiga rifles come with 14 countable parts. Adding a pistol grip takes you up to 15 countable parts (but since it'll be US made, it doesn't matter, right?)

It's all just simple mathematics with a known list of parts.

Edited by nalioth
Both lower handguard and gas tube cover (upper handguard) count as ONE part. Both must be made in the USA to count as US made.

Stock saiga rifles come with 14 countable parts. Adding a pistol grip takes you up to 15 countable parts (but since it'll be US made, it doesn't matter, right?)

It's all just simple mathematics with a known list of parts.

Ah yes, I see what you mean. I think I just got confused from continuous reading and counting, checking my parts list, etc. etc. I kept counting the pistol grip as a "bad part", but realized that it just meant I needed to have other compliant parts, but that it didn't count as a foreign part.

Thanks a lot!

-Joe