Russian Black AK-74 vs. .223 Saiga Mag Comparison

I posted this on the AK Forum and was asked to share it here too. I have some photos comparing a true-black (not dark plum) Russian AK-74 mag and .223 Saiga mag that I thought I'd share.

The silver "h" ink stamp is on opposite sides of each mag. This is also the case with the Izhevsk mark & the "mold number". Also note the difference between the 2 different styles of the Izhevsk markings.

MagsRight.jpg

MagsLeft.jpg

Notice the sharp corner on the top right of the .223 Saiga mag and the absence of a slot for the stipper clip charger.

MagTops.jpg

The mag catch tab on the Saiga .223 mag is significantly thicker than the black AK-74 mag.

MagCatch.jpg

The front lip on the Saiga .223 mag sticks up so far that it will not insert into a rifle that has a built-in bullet guide.

MagFeedLips.jpg

Notice the differences in the follower shape and the way the front of the .223 Saiga mag feed lips is more narrow than the AK-74M mag.

MagTops2.jpg

It looks like they have changed the reinforcing ribs on the floorplates too.

Floorplates.jpg

Thanks for the pix!

Much appreciated!

Is this a history lesson or a "How to" to do you own mods?
A little of both.

Seeing a military mag side by side with a dedicated factory Saiga mag shows you where the differences are for when you mod your mags (or the reason to mod your mag latch).

Thanks for the pix!

Much appreciated!

Is this a history lesson or a "How to" to do you own mods?
A little of both.

Seeing a military mag side by side with a dedicated factory Saiga mag shows you where the differences are for when you mod your mags (or the reason to mod your mag latch).

You're welcome!

And you're right, it's a little of both. :)

I would like to point out to you guys thinking about using AK74 mags in your .223 Kalashnikovs pictures one and two above.

Do you see the distinct difference in the curve of the .223 Saiga magazine versus the AK74 mag? The .223/5.56x45 has a straight walled case, and so has a straight(er) magazine. The 5.45x39 (and 7.62x39) have bottleneck shaped cases ( aids in reliability ) which leads to the more curved AK74 mag (and the famously curved AK47/AKM mag).

The curvature of the 5.45x39 mag will cause the .223 cartridges to bind at some point. This will happen no matter what followers you run or mods you make.