I desperately need help!

I just got done field stripping my Saiga 7.62x39 for the first time. I'm putting it back together but the dust cover will not fit into place. It's like the release button isn't at the right elevation and is preventing the cover from going on. I may just be putting it in the wrong way but can somebody help me?

You have to press the spring loaded retainer in (forward)

at the same time you push it forward at first it may take you 15 minutes, but once you get the hang of it , 1 second..

it clicks right into place.

You push it forward to engage in the front into a slot, and the down at the back to allow the top of the spring end to pass through the square hole.

That is if all the inards are in right

I just got done field stripping my Saiga 7.62x39 for the first time. I'm putting it back together but the dust cover will not fit into place. It's like the release button isn't at the right elevation and is preventing the cover from going on. I may just be putting it in the wrong way but can somebody help me?

remember to make sure the front of the cover is in the groove on the front trunion. if you can't get the cover on with the spring in, just remove the spring assembly and try to put the cover on, if it doesn't fit something is wrong, probably the bolt isn't in right. but it should just drop in for you, then pull the cover off and try putting the spring in again. Put the front of the cover in, then drop the cover onto the spring retainer, square part, slide the square part forward as you push the cover down. Hold it in place and rack the bolt, it should seat. With practice you can get the square part to hang on the front of the grooves, put the cover on, smack the cover to get the spring to engage, then rack the bolt to fully seat the spring. remember, its an AK built for the peasants. Its nearly impossible to break with just your hands.

good luck practice practice practice

I never heard about that "Rack the bolt" part.,,,...

and I never had any trouble, but I may try that next time though,...

remember to make sure the front of the cover is in the groove on the front trunion. if you can't get the cover on with the spring in, just remove the spring assembly and try to put the cover on, if it doesn't fit something is wrong, probably the bolt isn't in right. but it should just drop in for you, then pull the cover off and try putting the spring in again. Put the front of the cover in, then drop the cover onto the spring retainer, square part, slide the square part forward as you push the cover down. Hold it in place and rack the bolt, it should seat. With practice you can get the square part to hang on the front of the grooves, put the cover on, smack the cover to get the spring to engage, then rack the bolt to fully seat the spring. remember, its an AK built for the peasants. Its nearly impossible to break with just your hands.

Thanks for all the help! I tried everything that you guys' mention but I found the problem(or what I think is the problem). My butt stock seems to be in an awkward position. I tried removing the stock earlier on before reassembling it but it didn't budge. My dust cover will not fit because it's slanted. I need to take off the butt stock and put it on again and hopefully it'll fit.

I never heard about that "Rack the bolt" part.,,,...

and I never had any trouble, but I may try that next time though,...

Yeah it works great if the spring doesn't seat fully. learned it from a stubborn AK I have.