How to determine what is a "conspicuously protruding pistol grip&

How is this law typically interpreted? What makes one pistol grip classified under this over another?

I see more than a few NJ guys here with pistol grips on their Saigas, and I'm very curious.

thanks

-Joe

You can have a pistol grip in NJ and a detachable magazine. It's perfectly legal. You just can't have any other evil features.

How is this law typically interpreted? What makes one pistol grip classified under this over another?

I see more than a few NJ guys here with pistol grips on their Saigas, and I'm very curious.

thanks

-Joe

You can have a pistol grip in NJ and a detachable magazine. It's perfectly legal. You just can't have any other evil features.

Yeah, I figured that since I've seen a bunch of NJ users on here.

I am, however, just curious how people interpret this law. How does one distinguish a legal pistol grip from an illegal pistol grip. An example would be nice.

thanks

-Joe

I wasn't aware that there were 2 different types of pistol grips. If it sticks down from the receiver and looks like a pistol grip, it's a pistol grip. It's legal to have a pistol grip. There's a list of evil features on the state police web site. Make sure you don't have three of them. It's very simple. Saiga's are gonna have detachable magazines, so there's no getting around that one. You can add a pistol grip to the gun if you want, but that's your last evil feature. You can get away with one more evil feature if you do a thumb hole stock rather than a pistol grip. I had a thumb hole stock on my gun for a while when I was thinking about threading my barrel. I took it off though. Here's mine with the thumb hole stock and short magazine for the range.

100_2274.jpg

I like it better like I have it now though. That's one of those permanently blocked magazine BTW, before you get some crazy ideas. You can not get around the 15 round magazine limit in NJ. There is no pre ban.

100_0254.jpg

Edited by taurussvt
I wasn't aware that there were 2 different types of pistol grips. If it sticks down from the receiver and looks like a pistol grip, it's a pistol grip. It's legal to have a pistol grip. There's a list of evil features on the state police web site. Make sure you don't have three of them. It's very simple. Saiga's are gonna have detachable magazines, so there's no getting around that one. You can add a pistol grip to the gun if you want, but that's your last evil feature. You can get away with one more evil feature if you do a thumb hole stock rather than a pistol grip. I had a thumb hole stock on my gun for a while when I was thinking about threading my barrel. I took it off though. Here's mine with the thumb hole stock and short magazine for the range.

100_2274.jpg

I like it better like I have it now though. That's one of those permanently blocked magazine BTW, before you get some crazy ideas. You can not get around the 15 round magazine limit in NJ. There is no pre ban.

100_0254.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Excuse my ignorance, I just didn't realize it was that cut and dry. Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I'm definitely hip to the magazine law. Sucks, but what can we do.

Where did you get that one? I'd like something similar if possible. I'm going to pick up some Surefire 15 round mags, but I'd like some of that one too - the one that resembles a 30 rounder.

thanks

-Joe

I'm not sure about N.J. law. In Cali. where I live we can have mags sent to us as a "kit". Completely diassembled with parts to repair old legal mags. I know a lot of guy's that put wood blocks or rivits or some sort of material to limit capacity to 10 rounds and still have the look of 30 round mags.

Out here the DOJ wants epoxy or i've see a couple of guy's that will tack weld a piece of metal to keep the follower from moving down too far. There are a few companys that make 10/30 mags specificlly for CA. Try calling the N.J. DOJ and ask. Maybe a block of wood with a couple of pop rivets and the base plate glued shut might be good enough. If you really want the look, fire off some e mails and make some calls.

Out here the DOJ wants epoxy or i've see a couple of guy's that will tack weld a piece of metal to keep the follower from moving down too far. There are a few companys that make 10/30 mags specificlly for CA. Try calling the N.J. DOJ and ask. Maybe a block of wood with a couple of pop rivets and the base plate glued shut might be good enough. If you really want the look, fire off some e mails and make some calls.

Good idea, thanks for the tip.

-Joe