Minimum mod necessary?

I've had my Saiga 7.62 for about 6 months and it is just about my favorite gun! I bought several 30 rd USA mags but am concerned about the Gestapo busting me shooting cans so I'd like it legal for the hi caps.

I like the configuration as it is- trigger, stock and all- so what's the easiest thing(s) I can do to get 922 compliant for the big mags?

Thanks in advance- this forum is what gave me the confidence to go with a Saiga.

If you were to only use those US made 30 rounders you have, all you'd need to do is swap out 1 more "counted" part, for a US made one (see 922r Section for which parts actually count). Given that you like the trigger (are you sure man? the stock trigger blows :D ), and stock, you could swap out the front handguard. Or you could swap out the gas piston.

Dinzag's bolt on front HG retainer + a US made HG gets my vote. Unscrew the stock HG, jerk it off(that sounds wrong... but it really does need a good yank to get off), slide in the US HG, and screw on the retainer.

piston takes a little metal work. HG is easier. Just more expensive.

+1 for 22_shooter's "stock trigger blows" as well.

If it were me and it was something weird like no PG state and I wanted to keep the trigger I'd make my own buttstock. Get some good wood, take out the files, take out the dremel, and take a week or two to make my own stock.

Thanks, that is just what I was interested to know- just doing one simple mod to get legal with the hi caps. Now about that trigger:

I have and shoot everything from a .54 cal muzzleloader with double set triggers that goes off with one pound pull to a 30/30, a bunch of .22's, all sorts of handguns and a Mosin Nagant 1938. My Saiga trigger is in the mid range of all of them, actually just about like the stock 10/22. I'm getting about a 4" spread at 100 yards but i think most of that is the random sight picture from not being able to rest my cheek due to scope height, so the trigger break is ok.

However, if there is a non-complex method of smoothing out the Saiga stock trigger I'd be up for doing it.

I like the idea of making my own buttstock. Would that be a legal made in the USA part if I promise that I made it in the USA and didn't go out of the country to do so?

Thanks for the wealth of info.

I like the idea of making my own buttstock. Would that be a legal made in the USA part if I promise that I made it in the USA and didn't go out of the country to do so?

Yes, it would count as a US made part, and work for compliance.

hmm so if I made a mold of the stock handguard and made a composite (say carbon fiber or kevlar) copy then it would count. (what can i say i like the stock grip over any US made replacements i've seen)

Related question: If you replace the factory stock with a Saiga skeleton stock, you are no longer in compliance, correct? Because the skeleton stock is considered a pistol grip and it is also foreign. Right?

So what if you want foreign 30 rnd mags AND a skeleton stock? Would a Dinzag FCG for non PG converted rifles be enough parts to balance that out?

Very confusing.

Related question: If you replace the factory stock with a Saiga skeleton stock, you are no longer in compliance, correct? Because the skeleton stock is considered a pistol grip and it is also foreign. Right?

So what if you want foreign 30 rnd mags AND a skeleton stock? Would a Dinzag FCG for non PG converted rifles be enough parts to balance that out?

Very confusing.

No.

The Saigas skeleton stock is "non sporting" in the eyes of the import boys. You can change the Saiga skeleton stock for the factory Monte Carlo w/o worry on that score.

You'll still need 4 US parts when using 11+ round mags in a factory rifle, though.

Very confusing.

with the regular hunting stock you need to replace 1 part with US made part (hand grip, gas piston) in order to use the US made 11+ mags (3 parts there) for a total of 4 parts replaced

with the skeleton stock (counts as both stock and pistol grip) you now have to replace a total of 5 parts, so 3 with the US made mags, and then 2 more. the trigger group from dinzag counts as 2 parts.

thats my plan anyways because I have the skeleton stock and like it, and don't really like any of the available forearm grips. downfall is people will always be asking me "is that 922 compliant?" since it looks stock but with the large mags.

now if i wanted to use foreign mags then I would probably do the trigger group, gas piston, and make a custom thumbhole stock.

Edited by kohburn

Very confusing.

with the regular hunting stock you need to replace 1 part with US made part (hand grip, gas piston) in order to use the US made 11+ mags (3 parts there) for a total of 4 parts replaced

with the skeleton stock (counts as both stock and pistol grip) you now have to replace a total of 5 parts, so 3 with the US made mags, and then 2 more. the trigger group from dinzag counts as 2 parts.

thats my plan anyways because I have the skeleton stock and like it, and don't really like any of the available forearm grips. downfall is people will always be asking me "is that 922 compliant?" since it looks stock but with the large mags.

now if i wanted to use foreign mags then I would probably do the trigger group, gas piston, and make a custom thumbhole stock.

Excellent ideas, the simplest for me is best. But I really like the idea Kohburn has about making a mold and creating a handguard!

Thanks