Will the AK mag work?

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic as I am only familiar with SKS rifles. I have, as of recently, purchased a Saiga rifle. So far I have established that is a fine rifle, and quite as sturdy as my SKS, if not more. I wish to inquire about AK mags. I recently tried to fit one onto it, and found that it only has but a hair of grinding on the mags part to fit it. However that magazine not being mine, I did not want to ruin it for his AK. In the process of purchasing the Saiga, I also acquired two "Pro Mags" along with it that fit to perfection with the slight sanding of a hair's inch on each mag. The "Pro Mags" fit perfectly, and fed properly through a regular AK as well as the Saiga. I see no reason why a regular AK mag would not do the same.

Would it be accurate to state that a regular AK mag would perform correctly in my Saiga without any modification to the rifle itself? If not, then what steps would I need to perform on the rifle to fit them properly? Please forgive my ignorance, I am new to the Saiga, and believe it has much potential.

I also wish to inquire about a picatinny rail to house a red dot site.

Yes, AK mags do work in Saigas.............but with modification.

You have to file the mag catch a little bit (the one on the rifle itself. It's a more efficient option compared to filing the catch on each individual mag). Then you need to install a bullet guide, for regular AK mags to work. There are some mags that don't require modification, read around and you can find info on them (because I don't personally use them, I can't offer any info on 'em).

Assuming you're talking about regular 20-30 round AK mags, you'll need to follow 922r guidelines (as far as mags are concerned, 922r applies when you throw in a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds), being that you're taking the rifle out of it's current/factory "sporting" configuration.

No need to apologize for your "ignorance", just take some time, check out all the sub-forums, and you'll find everything you need to know about Saigas.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on picking a fine weapon! :D

Edited by 22_Shooter