muzzle break for .308

I have thought about replacing the FSB with a Bulgarian one that has the muzzle threads.

But I have also thought about doing a pin on one the way Pistonring described, by cutting 1 inch off the sleeve.

Either way I still need to know if a regular AK 47 or 74 muzzle break has the correct size opening in it for a .308

The way I am thinking is it should be the same. I think the .308 & the 7.62x39 bullet "projectile" is the same size around.

But I am not sure of this. Figured it is better to ask then find out the hard way.

I just put a Fal STD58 flash hider on mine,it didnt have threads so i drilled out the flashider slightly larger with a 5/8"" drill bit,then drilled/ pinned it to the barrel.Fit was tight.Not sure of the size of 308 threads or 7.62 but the barrel is appr. 5/8".Its not so much the bullet size as it is the outside diam of the barrel that is to be threaded.How close is 14mm to 5/8"??Math majors?

Edited by Pointer

I removed the front site post completely.Under the base the barrel is smaller ,the lenght of the site base with two grooves that the pins ride thru to stabilize the site to the barrel.The flashider i used had no threads and a fella at our local gun show had them for $3.00 a piece.I cut the site base to fit over part of the barrel and silver soldered just touching the flashider,looks good but havent tried it out yet.May go with the ACE LTD gas block site later maybe.Ill be posting a pic of the gun here soon,just have a couple little things to finish up.

Flashider looks like this but with no threads,pic from DSA.

fhausstg.gifem

If you want to do it the hard way, you could remove the Front Sight Base, cut the barrel back by an inch, build a jig to fit the rifle into your lathe, then proceed to turn down the barrel in two steps, one wider at the back (for the front sight base), and a smaller step at the front so it can be threaded for an AR 10 muzzle break (AK 74 style of course). Oh, and don't forget the pressure fit for the FSB and the holes for the reatainer pins (while making sure that it's on straight first), and the correct size crush washer for the MB. PS, if the crush washer doesn't crush as it's supposed to, you could always add a set screw or three. For this project though, I would recommend finding an unknowing but otherwise competent gunsmith to do it for you. At least, that's what I did (kinda).... except for the "putting the FSB back on" thing, and it only took one set screw. I didn't want to put him through hell, just a good workout. Works very well though. I'm very happy with the results.

I must admit, I've got a good gunsmith here. He's the only one I take my projects to (or refer others to) and I know he appreciates it. So, I geuss the moral of the story is: Be kind to your gunsmith, or- well, let's just not think about that. ; )

please excuse, it's been a long day... and I... well, nevermind.

• 1 month later...