Can you save money reloading shotgun?

I love my Saiga 12. I reload for almost all the other calibers I have.

I haven't reloaded for my 12 gauge only because I really don't know if its possible to save good amounts of money by relaoding for 12 gauge.

I'm not talking hunting or other more exotic ammo but rather just plain old light birdshot.

Can you save quite a bit over the 21 dollar 100 value packs of Federal at wally world?

Where it would probably save you some money is casting and reloading slugs, Lee sells slug molds and if you keep an eye out you can still find lead wheel weights for free or cheap. I have thought about setting-up the lead pot this winter and casting enough slugs to play with all summer. There are some guys that are picking-up range lead and making their own shot, you just have to figure what your time is worth.

I'll probably keep buying federal 100 packs.

I agree that you could save some good bux by casting and loading your own slug rounds but I purely want to know if its possible to save money by loading plinker birdshot loads. The more I investigate, the more it looks like the answer is no.

I agree with Gunfixr,

CAS was the only reason I ever reloaded 12ga, I used to shoot a lot of B-P loads, both 12ga and 10ga, and the only available stuff was about $2 a round for 12ga. I have been dabbling with reloading .410s lately, but they are a bitch to load. I mostly shoot smokeless classes in CAS now, it's easier to keep-up with the reloading.

Gunfixer,

Where are you shooting at, if you get in my area look me up and we'll have a shoot. My range link is in my sig line.

I bought a bunch of guns just for CAS. Got 3 357mag Blackhawks, 2 44mag Vaqueros (old ones), 3 45colt blackhawk/vaqueros, an original 1903 Winchester 97, a Rossi Overland SxS, a Winchester 87 lever action shotgun repro, and a Rossi 92 in 357mag.

Bought all those with the intent of doing SASS but just haven't had time yet. I still need to get a 45colt lever and a 44mag lever to have complete sets. Then I will be happy.