New to Saiga conversions

Okay friends and neighbors,

I bought a Saiga .308 (16") at a local GS this weekend and I am starting on the conversion. Here's what I am planning to do (input and advice welcome).

*US made "Galil-style" folder (TAPCO)

*US SAW-style (TAPCO)

*Bulgy TG with Galil mag release. (K-VAR and extra Galil mag release I have laying around, 8-32 screws in lieu of rivets)

*Krebs rear sight (AR-style) on top cover

*US made SS gas piston (FAC)

*FSE Fire controls (FAC)

*H&K G3 flash suppressor (Tig welded onto FSB)

Total US parts = 6

I also plan on dremeling out the slots / hole on the fore arm a' la FN-FAL.

Anybody see any probs / issues with this conversion?

Also - How do you remove the rear sight without screwing it up? Since I'll be using the cover mounted sights, I don't want the OEM rear in the way.

Thanks,

Macbeau

I havent heard good things about the TAPCO Galil type folder. Evidently its all plastic and prone to failure. ..and thats on the 7.62x39 version. I imagine the .additional recoil of the .308 will not help matters.

You may want to research that one a bit more. Also, you might consider the RED STAR ARMS trigger group over the FSE product. RSA is true two-stage adjustable trigger and is beautiful.

To remove the rear sight you flip it straight up and push down to dis-engage it from the recessed holes. The leaf spring is very difficult to push down and its much easier if you have a helper. One person pushes down on the tip of the spring with a screwdriver or something, then the other removes the sight.

Good luck on your build and please share pictures whn you can.

I have the TAPCO folder on my .308 but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet (still waiting on the pistol grip). That said, I've only heard of one breaking and it was because the hinge pin is plastic and broke. Probably permanently fixable with a new, metal pin.

That said, if you have the money and since your going for a Galil clone (like me), purchase an ACE AKFX stock, 'no tang' receiver block and their folding adapter. It requires you remove the tang from the rear trunion, but on the bright side it give you that flush Galil folder appearance. A lot nicer option, but a lot more money to invest (about 3x).

Hmmmm.

Thanks for the input.

I'll reserve the TAPCO folder for my .223 Norinco. I didn't realize these were ALL plastic stocks.

I like to look of the ACE but not the cost and the idea of buying 3 seperate components (I know - "modular" - but damn! Three components to buy for one operational stock) that adds up to ~ $150. :ded: Origional Galil stocks can be had for well under $100. *sigh*

Who has the best price on ACE components?

I have a spare Galil stock laying around and would use that if I could find an adaptor for an AK stamped rear... Oh well. It looks like I'm gonna have more in the conversion than I do in the basic rifle.

Thanks again.

Be safe. <_<