Got A Saiga 12 Today

My son walked into a pawn shop just north of Atlanta today, looking for a hand tool. What he found was a pawn shop with about 60 feet of counter space and people standing 2 or 3 deep waiting to purchase hand guns , semi automatic rifles, and ammo. He knew I have been looking for a Saiga 12 so he ask. They had a new shipment of Saiga 12s in today and sold him a new in the box Saiga 12 for $528 out the door. The person he purchased the Saiga from said they only had a few left and they would probably sell out within the hour. The sales person also stated it had been like this since Wednesday morning!! I guess luck is still important!! Anyway, I now have a new Siaga 12.

Now my question. When you see a dealer on line selling a Saiga 12 converted, just what does converted mean?

Starman,

Converting really means restoring.

on the bottom of the s12 is a plate covering the original trigger hole .

The trigger was moved backward to meet import laws.

you can LEGALY restore the s 12 to it's original design/intended configuration using US made parts.,...

by moving the TCG -Trigger Control Group forward (take out factory and put in new US, sand and drill and touch up paint ,.. etc.)

and adding a US made pistol grip or thumbhole stock.

People say the imported trigger linkage is clunky.

then you can add some doo dads you like and call it yours!

Good price on yours BTW!

Edited by Gas Giant
Thanks Gas Giant

Is moving the trigger hard to do or is this a job best left to a gunsmith?

PS Interesting name. Are you an astronomer by any chance??

Doing the FCG conversion is fairly simple. Check your measurements a couple times before you cut the pistol grip nut hole.

Atlanta area?

In the Houston area it is completely nuts. Gun dealers are not answering the phones. I have not seen it this bad since right after 9/11. Hope everyone finds what they are in searching for. Be persistent and don't give up looking.

Happy Shooting!