308-1 v.21 Questions...

Howdy folks:

Couple of questions about the Saiga 308-1 v.21...

With the trigger guard and assembly already moved forward, would this be the most desirable of the 308-1 versions when planning a conversion, despite the slant cut receiver?

Also - Given the fact of the slant cut, what stock options are currently available for the v.21?

I've searched the forum and saw the post on the Robinson stock - is this the only real alternative when it comes to 'drop-in' replacements?

And last but not least - I know this is highly subjective depending on location, but... what should one expect to pay for a v.21 in today's market?

What would differentiate a 'fair' price from being gouged?

Thanks in advance,

Mo

With the trigger guard and assembly already moved forward, would this be the most desirable of the 308-1 versions when planning a conversion, despite the slant cut receiver?

Also - Given the fact of the slant cut, what stock options are currently available for the v.21?

I've searched the forum and saw the post on the Robinson stock - is this the only real alternative when it comes to 'drop-in' replacements?

Mo

I wouldn't characterize the trigger & guard as "moved forward" in the v21. I'd say all the other models have the trigger "moved back" from their originally intended position. That said, the choice of aftermarket stocks is pretty slim and the Robinson isn't exactly a drop-in either. I'd say if the wood factory stock suits you (you'll need big hands) then buy one and leave it as-is. Not having to do the conversion to get the good trigger action is nice. However, if you really want the AK aesthetic thing going on with your rifle I'd start with one of the other less expensive models. I'm not sure you can even buy the V21 anymore actually.

Edited by Chaps
I wouldn't characterize the trigger & guard as "moved forward" in the v21. I'd say all the other models have the trigger "moved back" from their originally intended position. That said, the choice of aftermarket stocks is pretty slim and the Robinson isn't exactly a drop-in either. I'd say if the wood factory stock suits you (you'll need big hands) then buy one and leave it as-is. Not having to do the conversion to get the good trigger action is nice. However, if you really want the AK aesthetic thing going on with your rifle I'd start with one of the other less expensive models. I'm not sure you can even buy the V21 anymore actually.

Yeah, I know the Robinson requires a certain amount of fitting to install correctly, but so far that seems like the best option.

Thank you for all the info.

Anyone else have anything to add on expected pricing/stock options/conversions done on v.21s?

Thanks for your time,

Mo

I love my V21. But then again, I wanted a Thumbhole stock. If you want an EASY conversion and just want to keep the wood T-Hole, then it's an awesome gun. To convert, simply drop in a G2 Group. No fuss, no muss. (Except the possible safety issue with some .308s)

It's nice to have a 100% Russian .308 AK. and the trigger group is nice as-is.

If you want an EASY conversion and just want to keep the wood T-Hole, then it's an awesome gun. To convert, simply drop in a G2 Group. No fuss, no muss. (Except the possible safety issue with some .308s)

It's nice to have a 100% Russian .308 AK. and the trigger group is nice as-is.

SaigaNoobie, what is the purpose of installing the G2 fcg in the V-21? Parts count?

Or did you not like the factory trigger?

What is the safety issue you mentioned?

Thanks, Chaps.

On some 308s the tab on the safety is ground down so far that it will not engage a G2 fcg.

You will either have to build it up with a little metal, or replace it with a regular AK safety.

And I think you will find that the receiver is not angle cut.

It just looks that way with the stock on it.

Edited by Will
On some 308s the tab on the safety is ground down so far that it will not engage a G2 fcg.

You will either have to build it up with a little metal, or replace it with a regular AK safety.

And I think you will find that the receiver is not angle cut.

It just looks that way with the stock on it.

Nope. I took the plunge and bought it.

Took the stock off. It's definitely angled.

:(

Nope. I took the plunge and bought it.

Took the stock off. It's definitely angled.

:(

You knew that before you bought it, right?

Personally I think doing some cutting & fitting to make a stock work is easier than doing a conversion so look at the bright side.

I wonder why the factory doesn't make a V-21 with a straight cut receiver? That would really make life simple. Just slap on the stock & grip of your choice and you'd be finished, no trigger conversion needed. The angle cut on the V-21 is needed to nominally provide clearance for the thumbhole but that could be redesigned easy enough, its just wood. That hole needs to move down & forward IMO anyway and it would still be a sporting firearm as imported.

v21stock.jpg

Edited by Chaps
You knew that before you bought it, right?

Yep, sure did, but taking of the stock was just me basically confirming what I already knew. I'm still quite new to the .308 Saigas, but as far as I know, all v.21s are angled.

Only reason for it to be even the slightest bit of a bummer is the stock situation.

Picked her up for 400 bucks. Can't beat that.

Now I gotta look for a stock somewhere... :)

Will probably end up going the Robinson route... or maybe just modify the thumbhole stock.

So far as I know all the V21's have angle cut receivers. I actually like the original thumb hole stock as is.. and my hands aren't huge or anything. Compared to a Romanian type stock it's wayyyy comfy. If I was going to convert it, I wouldn't go altering the original stock... who knows when/if you'll see them brought in again.