Quick Question

Not sure on the legality of adding vents to the handguard, if it is found to be illegal that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard, I wouldn't be surprised though with most of the other gun laws out there.

To remove the handguard, take out the screw on the bottom front of the receiver. Then pull the handguard off, you might have to smack it a bit with a rubber hammer.

got it off with no problem, had to just give it a good whack. didn't want to break anything. Anyone else know if it is illegal to modify the stock handguard?? is it illegal to add an aftermarket handguard or does that go with the whole compliance thing??

As far as I know it is not illegal to vent your front handguard in NYS. As long it's got the original parts and has not been modified in any other way you should be fine.

If you modify it, then you are into the 922r game. The assault weapons ban was never allowed to sunset in NYS and all 922r regs apply. If you do swap the front handguard, make sure it's a USA made part. That counts as one compliance part.

If you later decide to convert it, and you should, just search the forum for the 922r rules section.

One other thing. If you put a mag that has a capacity of over 10 rounds in it as it is, your in violation of 922r. So just keep the higher capacity mags you may or may not have stashed away from the prying eyes of the range nazies.

It's an oxymoron issue here. You cannot have mags larger than a 10 round capacity shipped to you, however, you can purchase them over the counter at gun stores, and gun shows all day long. If your gun is not completely 922r compliant and put a 20 round mag in it, you are in violation. That is why you should convert it if you are going to use the higher capacity mags.

Edited by MacMan

thanks guys, just wanna play by the rules and not get taken away in shiny bracelets at the range. i ordered the tapco handguard and will throw that on there. not sure if i want to do the full conversion. if anything i would keep this as is and get the 308 and do that i think.

thanks again for the info.