Need suggestions on what to buy for my S12

I'm looking to buy the folding stock/pistol grip now, because God knows if I'll be able to in January.

I also like the look of the different charging handles.

I read some other threads about different triggers for the S12.

Since I'm so new, I'm going to step back and just ask for some guidance on what to buy (partwise) for my S12?

I'll worry about paying my smith next year to do the conversion for me. ;)

Thanks!

-Emt1581

I'm looking to buy the folding stock/pistol grip now, because God knows if I'll be able to in January.

I also like the look of the different charging handles.

I read some other threads about different triggers for the S12.

Since I'm so new, I'm going to step back and just ask for some guidance on what to buy (partwise) for my S12?

I'll worry about paying my smith next year to do the conversion for me. ;)

Thanks!

-Emt1581

I went for a mix of inexpensive and easy, and did the conversion myself.

Tromix modified trigger group (3 US parts) from MAA

Saigatechusa aluminum trigger guard

Tapco SAW grip (1 US part)

Tromix front grip (1 US part)

Tapco buttstock (1 US part)

It was more expensive than I initially planned, but the ease of the DIY trigger guard was worth it. It also looks much better than simple stamped steel.

After a few hundred rounds I found the AK stock was a bit short for my preference, and would dig into my shoulder if wearing just a T shirt, so I purchased a grind to fit limbsaver and customized the Tapco stock to fit it. Tapco offers a 1" buttpad that would be an easier route but is solid and I wanted to soften the felt recoil as much as I could. Now that I've shot it with the limbsaver I think the solid rubber Tapco pad probably would have been just fine. After several hundred rounds now my cheek is more sore than my shoulder!

Edited by hobbyshooter

I went with the Tromix modded G2 trigger group from MAA, I also used the Tromix DIY trigger guard from MAA. And the modded Retaining plate from Krebbs

I used a saw grip on mine and I have a Surefire tri-rail forearm on the way.

I am not sure what stock I will end up with either and ACE or Tromix folder, I am also waffling on the folding part, if I will cut the tang and mod the reciver block for the DIY trigger guard or go with the one where I leave the tang intact, but does not look as nice. I have right now a Tapco folder that feels way to fragile for my S-12.

Look over this site and you may want to try and do the work yourself. Trust me I can cross-thread a lightbuld and with the help and knowledge I recived here I have "denutered" my S-12 and my .308. I also replaced my FCG in my WASR to get rid of triggerslap. Really you can do this!

Hope this helps Russ

I'm really not too concerned with alterations to the trigger just yet. A folding stock is what I'd like. The telescopic stocks just aren't compact enough for my liking. I do have one on my AR but I'm not planning on turning that into a SBR.

I just want to have the basics of turning it into a SBS before Obama steps up to the plate. That way I don't have to worry about him screwing me over.

Seems like tromix are just all around popular and I'm guessing for good reason. Probably the most important accessory right now is a quality, ERGONOMIC/FUNCTIONAL, comfortable side folding stock with pistol grip. Keep the suggestions coming!!

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

There are so many nice parts out there the only solution is to buy more Saiga's! Probably lots more coming in the next year.

Well I'm on a reeealllyyy tight budget. So I'm just looking to get the bare essentials right now but quality stuff. I figure folding stocks and mags will be the first things targeted by a ban.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

There are so many nice parts out there the only solution is to buy more Saiga's! Probably lots more coming in the next year.

Well I'm on a reeealllyyy tight budget. So I'm just looking to get the bare essentials right now but quality stuff. I figure folding stocks and mags will be the first things targeted by a ban.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Yeah, both are in danger. Like you said, get quality stuff and start with the parts that are likely to be banned. Hopefully it will be a while until a ban is in place, but I have heard that he plans to use executive orders for "immediate impact". :cryss: That still gives you more than a month, worst case scenario.

BTW; Aren't title 2 guns exempt from AWBs? Wouldn't that mean that he could even get the parts after "the bastard" does his damage?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Yeah, both are in danger. Like you said, get quality stuff and start with the parts that are likely to be banned. Hopefully it will be a while until a ban is in place, but I have heard that he plans to use executive orders for "immediate impact". :cryss: That still gives you more than a month, worst case scenario.

BTW; Aren't title 2 guns exempt from AWBs? Wouldn't that mean that he could even get the parts after "the bastard" does his damage?

My dealer said something about that last night...what exactly is a title 2 gun?

As far as the 12rd mags vs. the pistol grip/folder combo...which would you think would be attacked first? I'm thinking high cap mags...

(We're discussing it in another thread) However, the ONLY thing Obama could do ON HIS OWN would be to cut off importation. Neither the 12rd. mags nor the folding stocks are imports so we're good until congress passes something. In that case I'm really confident that both "high-cap" mags and folding stocks would be simultaneously banned...permanently.

And in yet another thread I'm trying to figure out how many mags to buy to have enough money to buy a folding stock (good quality). However, since the stocks are so rediculously expensive $300-range I'm thinking that ordering 4 12rd mags should be first on the list, then worry about the gun modificatiions.

I'm just hoping to get a good number of brand/model suggestions here for the more popular modifications/accessories.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Thanks!

-Emt1581

As far as the 12rd mags vs. the pistol grip/folder combo...which would you think would be attacked first? I'm thinking high cap mags...

(We're discussing it in another thread) However, the ONLY thing Obama could do ON HIS OWN would be to cut off importation. Neither the 12rd. mags nor the folding stocks are imports so we're good until congress passes something. In that case I'm really confident that both "high-cap" mags and folding stocks would be simultaneously banned...permanently.

And in yet another thread I'm trying to figure out how many mags to buy to have enough money to buy a folding stock (good quality). However, since the stocks are so rediculously expensive $300-range I'm thinking that ordering 4 12rd mags should be first on the list, then worry about the gun modificatiions.

I'm just hoping to get a good number of brand/model suggestions here for the more popular modifications/accessories.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

A title 2 gun is any gun that requires a stamp, they are often called class 3 guns but that isn't the proper term. SBSs, SBRs, AOWs and full autos are title 2 guns. Since you stated that you plan on creating a SBS I thought it might be relevant. It's a catch 22 on the stock vs the mags first. If you get the stock and a ban is put in place before you can get the mags, I'll sell you a few of my (never loaded) AGPs for what I paid for them($55) + shipping, PM me if you're interested. If you plan on making it a SBS, I'd go with the ace skeleton stock, just based on looks. It's supposed to be a quality stock, it comes in three lengths with a .5" or 1" recoil pad.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Thanks!

-Emt1581

A title 2 gun is any gun that requires a stamp, they are often called class 3 guns but that isn't the proper term. SBSs, SBRs, AOWs and full autos are title 2 guns. Since you stated that you plan on creating a SBS I thought it might be relevant. It's a catch 22 on the stock vs the mags first. If you get the stock and a ban is put in place before you can get the mags, I'll sell you a few of my (never loaded) AGPs for what I paid for them($55) + shipping, PM me if you're interested. If you plan on making it a SBS, I'd go with the ace skeleton stock, just based on looks. It's supposed to be a quality stock, it comes in three lengths with a .5" or 1" recoil pad.

I appreciate the offer!:)

However, I think I am going to wait a week or so, see what the results have been with others who have ordered them, then I'll buy a few of the 12rd mags.

As far as the folding stock...any reason in particular why you reccomend the Ace Skeleton over the Tromix?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Under the 1994 AWB people would register their AR15s as SBRs so they could use collapsible stock, bayonet lug, flash suppressor, etc. I heard about it after the sunset before I knew anything about NFA.

I hear ya. I only recommended the Ace because of the looks. Like I said, I don't even have my Saiga yet.

Everything ACE makes appears to be to of the line. They got bought out by Double Star in KY, BTW.

<----I've got their folder. The new push button folding mechanism looks nice.

Personally I'd buy mags first if I were you!

Short barreled weapons WERE NOT exempt from the expired AW ban!

They are exempt from all this sporting purpose, parts-count garbage though.

"Evil parts" like uppers with flash hiders, and folding stocks were easily available during the ban, but it was a felony to install them on a gun that was not already an "AW" when the ban took effect. I remember romanian wire folders were $20.

Short barreled weapons WERE NOT exempt from the expired AW ban!

They are exempt from all this sporting purpose, parts-count garbage though.

"Evil parts" like uppers with flash hiders, and folding stocks were easily available during the ban, but it was a felony to install them on a gun that was not already an "AW" when the ban took effect. I remember romanian wire folders were $20.

As I remember it most of the wire stocks were welded in the open position. I could be wrong though.

Were many arrests made from tracking the shipments of those who ordered the readily available parts that were illegal to assemble?

Thanks!

-Emt1581