Mods to use AK mags

I just got a Saiga 7.62x39 after having Saiga-12s for years. I got all my romanian and bulgarian AK mags to fit, but the rounds still dive right under the chamber throat. I noticed that the rim on the front of the standard AK mag is cut out lower whereas the factory mags are level in front with sides of the front lips.

I got a promag and did some plastic forming to move the cutout in the front lip up closer to the edge front lips of the mag. I ran about 100 rounds through it , and had 3 low divers. I have it close, but still not where you would want an AK. Is the bullet ramp the only route to go? My factory Saiga mag of course did not fail to feed anything.

Another funny note. I had a Bushnell Holosight Eotech 511 knockoff sitting around collecting dust after my AR aimpoint and magnifier went on one of the ARs. I put this sight on a low rider Bulgarus side mount and had it dialed in to 3" groups at 50 yards and 5" groups at 100 without any tinkering with sight knobs and not using sandbags or any rests. This is all I would care to get out of this using Wolf ammo. I was pretty cheesed. It sucks to have to take the sight off to remove the cover and bolt assy, but it held zero after a couple rounds of testing removal and replacement.

I'm not an expert but it sounds like a bullet guide would fix the problem.

So i've seen a few posts on how to do a few types of bullet guides, but they came from professional gunsmiths or qualified metal workers who know how to customize these things in a weekend project. Is there any bolt on bullet guide for the not so mechanically inclined?

Edited by twinhairdryers
I'm not an expert but it sounds like a bullet guide would fix the problem.

So i've seen a few posts on how to do a few types of bullet guides, but they came from professional gunsmiths or qualified metal workers who know how to customize these things in a weekend project. Is there any bolt on bullet guide for the not so mechanically inclined?

G1rock is right, you're in need of a bullet guide. Find out what kind of trunnion you have (round or flat), and order accordingly (make sure you get the "kit", as it comes with all the necessary hardware to install it): http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/saiga_762x39.html .

You can do this with a hand drill if you have a steady hand. If you have, or have access to, a drill press, it's even easier. I had to make do with a corded hand drill, but I went slow when drilling and tapping the hole, and it came out perfect.

I'm new to the forum but not to Saiga.

I have just finished converting my Saiga 7.62 to the AK format. To use the AK mags you will have to install a bullet guide (the Saiga mag has a built in guide) I recommend that you look at several different types if you plan to do it yourself. Some have to be drilled and tapped, others drilled and riveted. I prefer the riveted, tapping is something I can do but I'm not good at.

Also, you will have to file down the mag catch, it only requires a slight amount of filing. You can still use your Saiga mag after you modify the catch for the AK mags.

Read up on 922r compliance, I think that when you go more than the 10 rnd mag, you will need to bring the gun into compliance.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally installed my Dinzag bullet guide.

Bought it a while ago, but had no need, until I bought some Promag 30's.

Tapped install was a breeze.

The Saiga Promags will send a fmj low, won't feed a sp.

Work fine with bullet guide.

Thanks for the input guys. I did get my Dinzag bullet guide today, and now have to build up some courage to put a drill bit to my gun. Funny thing is, my solder gun plastic welding job on a Promag plastic mag runs 100%. Now it's the chicken and the egg, do you fix the gun to accept the mag, or fix the mag to accept the gun. I actually like my Saiga the way it is right now since it is 10 pounds lighter with a plastic mag even than my AKs. I managed to put metal furniture, nice folding stocks, optics, do-dads, tooth brushes, and coffee makers on my AKs, and throw a 40 round com-block magazine in those and it is a much much heavier rifle. I'm considering keeping my Saiga more like an original rifle and not add so much crap on it, and trying plastic mags for a while (got a couple Surefires also). It may be my car gun since it is lighter and easier to use now.

I'm torn now. If the bullet guide won't screw up my factory mag feeding, it is one of the "pet" projects that lingers since I have a couple suitcases of steel AK mags. we'll see. My mechanical skills with hand tools other than actually firing weapons sucks, so i'm a bit "drill shy".

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this - can a Saiga modified to accept standard AK magazines still accept the plastic Pro-mag magazines? I'm thinking about modifying my Arsenal Saiga, but I don't want to lose my current investment in 30 round plastic mags.

The answer is yes. I have a Hesse converted Saiga, has a bullet guide, uses standard AK mags. I bought a Pro-Mag this past weekend and have had no problems using the Pro-Mag.

The answer is yes. I have a Hesse converted Saiga, has a bullet guide, uses standard AK mags. I bought a Pro-Mag this past weekend and have had no problems using the Pro-Mag.

Cool, in that case I'll be working on my Saiga over the holidays. Hopefully all the other parts I ordered will be here by then! I'll post pics in the pic thread when it's done.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this - can a Saiga modified to accept standard AK magazines still accept the plastic Pro-mag magazines? I'm thinking about modifying my Arsenal Saiga, but I don't want to lose my current investment in 30 round plastic mags.

Have a look:

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/x39_mag_options.pdf