New Zealand Saiga-12 Owners

Hi all.

I'm a proud owner of a new Saiga-12 in New Zealand. Been lerking a while at the forum. I wonder if there are any other Kiwis here. Have you moded your Saigas? What have you done to it? Anyone cut down their barrel?

Cheers!

Hi all.

I'm a proud owner of a new Saiga-12 in New Zealand. Been lerking a while at the forum. I wonder if there are any other Kiwis here. Have you moded your Saigas? What have you done to it? Anyone cut down their barrel?

Cheers!

Although I'm not from Down Under I do welcome you to the forum. What model did you get and what accessories came on it. You can get both a sporter Vepr12 and the Saiga EXP 01- 030 in NZ but with thumbhole stocks only for A-Cat right

We only dream of this being imported here and no parts are available to clone one.

post-6703-1228690885_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys!

Just a question. I've shot shotguns all my life with the sporter stock. Does the pistol grip make that much of a difference? The pistol grip stocks in NZ are only the dragnov types with the standard trigger group.

Hi all.

Cheers!

Hi Mate,

I bought a S 12 a few months ago and have been tinkering away. Added a Tapco T6 stock (with atachment to make A cat compliant), way better than the SVD Draganov stock. Pistol grip makes snap shooting much quicker and easier.

Just fitting a magwell at the moment.

Completed the bolt polishing that is recommended on this site and it now cycles rounds much smoother and mags fit much easier.

Im in Rotorua. Where are you? Where do you shoot?

Hi Mate,

I bought a S 12 a few months ago and have been tinkering away. Added a Tapco T6 stock (with atachment to make A cat compliant), way better than the SVD Draganov stock. Pistol grip makes snap shooting much quicker and easier.

Completed the bolt polishing that is recommended on this site and it now cycles rounds much smoother and mags fit much easier.

Hey mate,

Where did you get the Tapco T6 stock and how much did it set you back? Did you fabricate the attachment? I'm guessing it's just a steel rod of some sort? Can it be just bolted on?

I'm based in Auckland. I had a friend that manage a farm in Mangakino where we used to go hunting. But now he works at a farm that's pretty close to a town. So no more ammo dumping. I shot north of Auckland now days at the Deer Stalker farm quite a bit.

I'm definately gonna have a go polishing the bolt.

Hi Mate,

Hey mate,

Where did you get the Tapco T6 stock and how much did it set you back? Did you fabricate the attachment? I'm guessing it's just a steel rod of some sort? Can it be just bolted on?

I'm based in Auckland. I had a friend that manage a farm in Mangakino where we used to go hunting. But now he works at a farm that's pretty close to a town. So no more ammo dumping. I shot north of Auckland now days at the Deer Stalker farm quite a bit.

I'm definately gonna have a go polishing the bolt.

bought it from the gunpartsguy.com in the states, was about $65 american, took 5 days for delivery. there is a sling attachment which can be removed and a split pin in the bottom of the grip that can be removed. i welded up a bar and attached to these 2 points.

will put up[ a couple of pics when I get the time.

Mike

Cool. Any idea about the law regarding importing parts from the states? Do you need a permit of some sort? I know it's a pain getting magazines in. But what about stocks and rails and such? Also, do we have a minimum limit for the length of shotgun barrels? I'm thinking about cutting mine down.

Edited by jma037
  • 2 weeks later...
Cool. Any idea about the law regarding importing parts from the states? Do you need a permit of some sort? I know it's a pain getting magazines in. But what about stocks and rails and such? Also, do we have a minimum limit for the length of shotgun barrels? I'm thinking about cutting mine down.

I contacted the local arms officer and yes you do require a permit to import a non A cat stock. However these stocks will fit paintball versions of the AK and Saiga so can be imported as 'Airsoft' or 'paintball stocks'. However should you fit to your Saiga in standard form, it reclassifys your firearm as E cat. I added a aluminium bar to mine to make A Cat legal.

It is fully legal to fit pistol grips to pump actions in NZ with an A cat licience for some reason. Check out www.guncity.co.nz they have a range with pistol grips A cat.

I Believe shotguns can be cut down to a minimum of 19" in length from the barrel tip to the end of the butstock to comply with NZ laws, but I would call your local arms officer to check this. Check out the threads in this forum about how the barrel lenght affects you guns performance.

Hi folks,

the legal limit for any firearm is no shorter than 30 inches, there is no barrel length limit on shotguns(there may have been years ago)as long as you are over 30 inches in total measured parellel to the bore you are safe.

here is a picture of my saigas, im currently working on the 19 inch s12, i think i will try a different stock design and make the trigger gaurd a little bit different too, it should still pass as A cat as it dosnt have a free standing pistol grip.

the longer s12 is just out of the box and santa bought it for me, it is proably going to be converted to a bullpup when i get time.post-12042-1229823904_thumb.jpg

Hi folks,

the legal limit for any firearm is no shorter than 30 inches, there is no barrel length limit on shotguns(there may have been years ago)as long as you are over 30 inches in total measured parellel to the bore you are safe.

here is a picture of my saigas, im currently working on the 19 inch s12, i think i will try a different stock design and make the trigger gaurd a little bit different too, it should still pass as A cat as it dosnt have a free standing pistol grip.

the longer s12 is just out of the box and santa bought it for me, it is proably going to be converted to a bullpup when i get time.post-12042-1229823904_thumb.jpg

you lucky bastard, nice looking guns. :wub: How have you found the quality of the stock on the "out of the box" saiga?

Hi folks,

you lucky bastard, nice looking guns. :wub: How have you found the quality of the stock on the "out of the box" saiga?

The stock seems ok but havnt looked too closely at it, one problem i did find was the gas regulator would not unscrew, i struggled for about half an hour to get it out without damaging it, turns out is wasnt machined well and the outer edge was binding against the barrel. a few minutes fileing sorted it. the other s12 had an unusual problem, it was fitted with a standard saiga rifle top cover , i had never seen a s12 before so i didnt realise it was a problem untill i tried to fire it. aside from that i think they are great guns and at $550 on trade me they are a bargin.

the other s12 had an unusual problem, it was fitted with a standard saiga rifle top cover , i had never seen a s12 before so i didnt realise it was a problem untill i tried to fire it. aside from that i think they are great guns and at $550 on trade me they are a bargin.

I got my off the same guy on trade me. So the Saiga that he sells has a rifle cover? Do you think it's a big deal? It was a little tight when I disassembled it.

i only bought the second one through trade me, the first one with the rifle dust cover i got at a local gunshop, it was second hand but had only fired a couple of rounds, im guessing that in the shop someone stripped a rifle and shotgun to have a look at the differences, when they put them togather the top covers got mixed up. they couldnt find a saiga rifle on the shelf with the wrong dust cover so they assumed it was one they had already sold. its easy to spot the difference, a shotgun ejection port is huge compared to a rifle.

i only bought the second one through trade me, the first one with the rifle dust cover i got at a local gunshop, it was second hand but had only fired a couple of rounds, im guessing that in the shop someone stripped a rifle and shotgun to have a look at the differences, when they put them togather the top covers got mixed up. they couldnt find a saiga rifle on the shelf with the wrong dust cover so they assumed it was one they had already sold. its easy to spot the difference, a shotgun ejection port is huge compared to a rifle.

Sweet as. Did you do the trigger conversion on the saiga with the white stock?

yes, there isnt much to it realy, i just followed the pictures that were posted on the internet, i didnt use a new trigger, just cut the rear trigger down and welded it to the sear cradle. next time i will import some trigger mech parts they only cost a few dollars and will make a better job.

so what plans do you have for your saiga?

• 2 weeks later...

i have got things from brownells,needed import permit from arms officer, permit took about a month, parts took a week to get here from the u.s. this was a while ago and i dont think brownells sends things here anymore. some suppliers still do , check around. what are you after?

You will need an e catagory saiga 12 for the arms officer to approve your import permit, if its not e cat you wont be allowed to bring in those kind of parts(pistol grip), also e cat permits to import have to be approved in wellington so be prepaired for a bit of a wait. i have almost given up getting things from overseas but im sort of toying with the idea of importing an a cat ar15, going to make it my 2009 project as it will proably take that long?

You will need an e catagory saiga 12 for the arms officer to approve your import permit, if its not e cat you wont be allowed to bring in those kind of parts(pistol grip), also e cat permits to import have to be approved in wellington so be prepaired for a bit of a wait. i have almost given up getting things from overseas but im sort of toying with the idea of importing an a cat ar15, going to make it my 2009 project as it will proably take that long?

Tell me about it. Luckly, one of my friend has a e cat lisence, he might be able to help me there. I was also hoping to import it as an airsoft stock. Have you seen any other a cat stock for the saiga? The dragnov one with the cheap cheek pad is a pet hate of mine.

Hey mate. Just checked it out. That's exactly what I was looking for. Great find. But by the look of it you need to move the trigger forward. Hope that's not too expensive.

Are you a member of IMAS? I just signed up to the forum and am keen to get involved.

Edited by jma037

I have been a member of imas for a while, i like to keep my eye on whats for sale, quite often better deals than trade me, also pistols and mssa rifles that trade me wont list. the trigger mod is not too hard if you have basic metalwork skills, if you want to do one i can talk you through any problems. there is also a guy on imas who will do it for you, i think its about $150. what part of the country are you in ?

post-14523-1231361916_thumb.jpgpost-14523-1231361836_thumb.jpgpost-14523-1231361357_thumb.jpgpost-14523-1231361396_thumb.jpg

I dont know yet, i think it will be legal as the pistol grip is no longer free standing and thats how the law is worded? but when im finished i will take it in to the ao and let him decide, at worst i will have to take it off and try a more traditional method.

Hi guys,

Can you tell me where the imas site is or cantact details for imas?

Love that pistol grip with the trigger guard, did you make yourself?

i imported the tapo colapsoble stock no problems, added the bar to make a cat legal, see pics.

Do imas have a shotgun section fo competition?

Thanks guys.