Mausers! Hell ya, thats what I'm talkin bout!

I have 3 Spanish Modelo 1916s made at the Oviedo Arsenal, all authentic and still in original 7x57mm. One has the Lange Vizier sight and the other 2 have the regular Tangent sights, but I have never seen one with that rear sight - very odd!

Too bad someone tried to "bubba" the stock into a sporter, those have absolutely gorgeous wood. Yours looks to be in pretty bad shape. Even the "crown" crest is almost gone (and possibly the date stamp below it if it had one - some didn't) - this usually happens when someone sands them down and refinishes them while making them into sporters. After a rough sanding and a cheap coat of cold-blue, these puppies start rusting like crazy.

Every One I have seen that underwent caliber changes has the new caliber marked on the barrel or reciever, sometimes both.

post-10946-1229215890_thumb.jpg

It looks like a model 1893 spanish mauser that may have had the barrel changed. If the bottom of the bolt is flat, then it is a '93. Originally they shot the 7x57 mauser. Good deer killing round. I have taken several with that particular round.

It looks like a model 1893 spanish mauser that may have had the barrel changed. If the bottom of the bolt is flat, then it is a '93. Originally they shot the 7x57 mauser. Good deer killing round. I have taken several with that particular round.

Nope, its a 1916. The chamber port (hole on Left side of reciever) is a dead giveaway.