rail hand gaurds...

Looks like a standard Picatinny rail system, many ppl make them for AK. Do a Google for Picatinny rail cover, I found a few -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...2949644ffe262ed

or

http://www.centuriontactical.com/tango-down-rc6.htm

magpul, tango down, first samco, ergo and a few other companies make them. couple of designs out there. look at the new magpul xtm panels. i love em.

I looked at the OP's link, and I like the idea of that kind of rail handguard, and especially the lower handle. His link it looks like they charge about $270 for the unit. Is that a pretty normal price? That's without the drop handle. Seems pretty steep to charge more than 1/2 the price of the gun for a hand rail, but I don't know... so I'm asking. :) Any links to other products would be appreciated.

i have the long version of the ultimak lower. with the ultimak gas tube as well. i will tell you this. the lower is kinda tricky to install. do what the instructions tell you and use some sort of grease/adhesive on the rear corners to hold them in place. it's impossible to do if you don't.

imo, i love the options i went with. and hope to have pictures up by tonight.

so far to my saiga i've put:

ultimak gas tube

ultimak long lower rail

caa ak47 grip

caa buttstock adapter

magpul MOE commercial diameter stock

Spike Tactical's Shorty VFG

i plan to add a jtac, magpul XTMs, and rafaga's dog leg rail (when he gets it done). all total i have about $875 into mine so far. after the refinishing i have in mind i'll have over a g in it

i have the long version of the ultimak lower. with the ultimak gas tube as well. i will tell you this. the lower is kinda tricky to install. do what the instructions tell you and use some sort of grease/adhesive on the rear corners to hold them in place. it's impossible to do if you don't.

imo, i love the options i went with. and hope to have pictures up by tonight.

so far to my saiga i've put:

ultimak gas tube

ultimak long lower rail

caa ak47 grip

caa buttstock adapter

magpul MOE commercial diameter stock

Spike Tactical's Shorty VFG

i plan to add a jtac, magpul XTMs, and rafaga's dog leg rail (when he gets it done). all total i have about $875 into mine so far. after the refinishing i have in mind i'll have over a g in it

is the lower on there solid... i really dont want to "glue" it on... what do you mean by adhesive..

There are little tabs that go in between the receiver and the rear lip of the lower Ultimak rail. They look like little triangles. They keep the rail in line with the barrel as well as the sides parallel to the sides of the receiver.

He's talking about gluing the tabs to the rail just to make mounting easier. The mounting system the rail uses(a bunch of hex screws) keeps everything in place and very very solid. Gluing those tabs just makes it much easier to install. Until its in place those tabs tend to fall out. After its in place the tabs are squeezed/pinched(under a lot of pressure) between the rail and the receiver so they aren't going anywhere. Glued or not.

During install I just taped them in place.

There are little tabs that go in between the receiver and the rear lip of the lower Ultimak rail. They look like little triangles. They keep the rail in line with the barrel as well as the sides parallel to the sides of the receiver.

He's talking about gluing the tabs to the rail just to make mounting easier. The mounting system the rail uses(a bunch of hex screws) keeps everything in place and very very solid. Gluing those tabs just makes it much easier to install. Until its in place those tabs tend to fall out. After its in place the tabs are squeezed/pinched(under a lot of pressure) between the rail and the receiver so they aren't going anywhere. Glued or not.

During install I just taped them in place.

id liek to see any pictures you have of yours installed..

thanks for all teh info..

Sorry I didnt take any pics while I installed the lower HG :\ Can't find any pics of the installation or those little triangle things either :(

This thread has some pics of the HG installed: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=32925

is that the long one or the compact one.. thanks..

that's the long version. same as i have. it extends to the end of the gas block. the mid size extends to the beginning of the bottom of the gas block and the short extends to an inch before the gas block.

Sorry I didnt take any pics while I installed the lower HG :\ Can't find any pics of the installation or those little triangle things either :(

This thread has some pics of the HG installed: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=32925

is that the long one or the compact one.. thanks..

that's the long version. same as i have. it extends to the end of the gas block. the mid size extends to the beginning of the bottom of the gas block and the short extends to an inch before the gas block.

thanks a lot.. i think im going to go with an ultimak and ace stock on the 7.62 and move the parts i have on the 7.62 now onto the .223

= )