DPH S12 tri rail install question

Got one the other day. No install instructions- it only had a schematic drawing. When I went to install it, it wouldn't drop on- the fit over the barrel was too tight. I tried to slip it from the muzzle end back, but no-go.

I don't have a problem pounding it on and ruining the finish under it, but if I'm going to do that I want to make sure that is the right way.....

Any FIRST HAND experience or am I the first one here with one of these?

That extra little part is the shim that goes into the receiver. Tap it in til it's flush with the front, and the rectangular hole in the middle is lined up to accept the tongue on the HG.

Don't put it on over the muzzle. Put it on from underneath and behind the gas block. Put the front part on first and rock the rear upward into position. You will need to snap it over the wide part of the barrel where the chamber is. It's a pretty tight fit but it's nice and snug once it's on there. Then just slide it backward and put the tongue in the hole. hmmmmmm :angel:

Tap it home with a rubber mallet, or use a wood block and a hammer. Hopefully your mounting screw hole will line up with the threaded hole where your sling loop was screwed on. Each S-12 is a little different in that respect. They seem to just eyeball the damn things and pin them where ever they feel like that day. Your HG may need a little adjusting to allow for their sorry lack of consistency at the factory.

First let me say, thanks to everyone for the fantastic sales that we have seen on these tri rails. We knew we had a good product here but I never thought it would be accecpted this well so fast!!!

Thanks Max for the link to the other thread. Like many have said already, the quality coming out of the factory is shotty at best. We sampled SEVERAL s-12's and picked the "median" dimention for the screw hold placement. If it doesn line up, it shouldnt be far off and a couple seconds with a file should get you there. Thats the beauty of aluminum......no rust issues and easy to file!!!!

As for the small "locking key"..... It gives you an inexpensive piece to "file to fit" between the front trunion and the receiver shell. We did find a lot of variation in the size of the opening from one s-12 to another. It is alway best to file/grind on the least expensive piece. By doing this, if someone screws up, we can get them a replacement piece without them having to buy the more expensive rail part. Like Cobra said, TAP and I mean TAP the piece into the reciver, under the front trunion until it is flush. If it is excessively tight, file it down so that it fits in SNUG. If you drive it in, that will only cause it to bow the 2 stops inboard and therefore causing the "notch" that the tri rail fits into to close up slightly. If that happens, the locating tab on the tri rail will not fit into the locking key.

Scott