Thinking of converting.....

I just bought the 7.62x39 Saiga, and I like the way it looks stock, BUT I like the regular AK look better. I am probably going to convert. Is there anything I can screw up beyond repair when atemping? I already have the stock and pistol grip(AK) what else do I need? Do I need the Tapco trigger? I was just going to get the Tapco Saiga Intrafuse stock, but when I ordered it, it was on backorder. Maybe thats a sign telling me to just convert?? Thanks

Trust me, you'll definately be glad you did the conversion once it's done. I just did my first one and only took three hours. I'm sure I could do the next one in two hours or less.

Get the Tapco G2 single hook trigger and a retaining plate for the hammer and trigger pins. Go to Dinzags site and go to the LINKS section for conversion instructions. Every part you'd ever need for conversion is for sale on his site.

Trust me, you'll definately be glad you did the conversion once it's done. I just did my first one and only took three hours. I'm sure I could do the next one in two hours or less.

Get the Tapco G2 single hook trigger and a retaining plate for the hammer and trigger pins. Go to Dinzags site and go to the LINKS section for conversion instructions. Every part you'd ever need for conversion is for sale on his site.

I did the single-stack to double-stack conversion on my WASR AK, which took me about 7 hours to do. So I should probably just do this. I want to have ALL the parts I need first.

Do a regular conversion. You will thank this board afterwards :D .

Many people say "If I could do it and not mess it up, anyone can do it"..........of everyone that says that, I'm one of the ones that really means it. Seriously, I had very little knowledge with AK's (and I'm still learning, of course) and guns in general when I did mine, and it came out great.

-Read, read some more, then read it again.

-Decide how you want it set up.

-Buy the parts you need.

-Go to town on your Saiga.

-Enjoy your new Russian AK!!!!!!!

I plan on doing it here within the next month. What all do I need? Here's what I plan to order...

Tapco Single hook trigger

Regular Tapco AK stock

I already have the pistol grip..

What else do I need? Links? Thanks

FCG Retainer plate (or spring or hitch pins or e-clips)

If you order from Dinzag (and I recommend him very highly) you will get the hitch pins and e-clips with your order as well as little plastic plugs to plug the holes in the receiver left over from removing the old FCG.

Theres a lot of posts on here with hints and tips. Definitly look for those plastic plugs to fill in the holes in the back of the reciever. I was suprised it looked as good as it did, even after seeing pics of other peoples.

If you change your saftey lever make sure it clears everything... I put a bulgarian one on mine becaws i liked the harder angles it had, and after wrestling with the BHO to get it all together found out i couldn't put my shotgun on safe... Pull it apart, grind some metal down, and start over...

With mistakes along the way and a lot of TLC with every step my conversion took 5-6 hrs... But i'm very pleased with the results.

I plan on doing it here within the next month. What all do I need? Heres what I plan to order...

Tapco Single hook trigger

Regular Tapco AK stock

I already have the pistol grip..

What else do I need? Links? Thanks

Pistol grip nut and screw (unless you already have it):

http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/akpgns.html

Be careful with the Taping of the hole for the bullet guide. I broke of the tap in the hold on my first conversion. So take your time there..

P.S. I was able to fix it. And it has not given me problem yet.

post-13705-1230499854_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zazale

I got almost all the small stuff today for the convversion(Springs, plugs, pistol grip nut, etc) One more question I had was....Is it possible to use the original trigger and trigger parts? Or do I absolutly have to go with the Tapco. I will be a Total of 10 Foriegn parts for 922r, so that would be an issue. Thanks again for the responses...

I got almost all the small stuff today for the convversion(Springs, plugs, pistol grip nut, etc) One more question I had was....Is it possible to use the original trigger and trigger parts? Or do I absolutly have to go with the Tapco. I will be a Total of 10 Foriegn parts for 922r, so that would be an issue. Thanks again for the responses...

As long as you have a max of 10 part import.. As for the trigger. If you are doing a pistol grip formation, the old FCG parts can't be used, it will not fit.