Question for our armorers here,

I want HK sights mine but I am kind of leary of the rear sight being on the dust cover. What would be the issue with mounting rear sight to the rear of the gas tube like the factory sights? I realize the distance between the aperatures is not optimal, but neither is mounting a sight to a movable object, or is it not that large of an issue?

Thanks

Darin

Edited by hallboss

You'd have to drill out the apertures just to see through them most likely, or just ignore them and only use the v-notch.

You can do some selective tweaking of the cover and get it reasonably tight, minimize the movement.

Mine doesn't move much, I was more under the impression when you removed the dust cover and replaced it, the sight were now off. But now that I think of it, how far off can they be? An inch maybe two at twenty five meters? I think that is pretty reasonable when considering the use of this weapon...I think I got caught up in someone else's concerns.

Thanks Gunfixer

I want HK sights mine but I am kind of leary of the rear sight being on the dust cover. After some consideration, what would be the issue with mounting rear sight to the rear of the gas tube like the factory sights? I realize the distance between the aperatures is not optimal, but neither is mounting a sight to a movable object, or is it not that large of an issue?

Thanks

Darin

Funny you should mention that... I'm working on putting together that very setup for my Saiga 12. I want some type of traditional sights as an alternative to my red/green dot halo. You are right about the small sight radius... Unless you move the front sight out to the end of the barrel!

You need three componets to make this work:

1) A rail mount for the top of the gas tube. COBRA (Saiga 12 forum member) makea a nice looking one as well as UktiMAK. (I'm waiting for my CHOAS quad rail!)

post-14713-1231271942.jpg

2) A barrel mounted front sight. (I like the AR-15 style sight from Kreb's.) (Numerous choices exist for AR-15 style front sight posts!)

post-14713-1231271969_thumb.jpg

3) A rail mounted 'drum' stlye rear sight. (I'm currently leaning towards this one from mfiap.com) (SIG 55O series goodies!)

post-14713-1231272073_thumb.jpg

You also need to check/measure all of the components to make sure the sight picture is correct. A 12 gauge boresight like this one REALLY comes in handy!

post-14713-1231272599_thumb.jpg

This is not the next thing on my projects list, but I'll let you know when I have found a working combination.

Edited by JeffD

Thanks I am interested to see how that works. I didn't know there was a picatinny mount HK sight available, that is great. That answers my concern, because I was talking to some guys when this question came up. I was leaning toward a rail, but I wanted BU iron sights. What you just posted that solves the problem completely.

Thanks again