looking at a s-12

I was looking at a saiga 12 today and had a few questions. (I really dont know much about shotguns in general)

1) If I wanted to put a skeleton or a thumbhole stock on it would I have to play the compliance game?

2) If I put on a slr 95 thumbhole stock on itand move the FCG forward can I use a normal tapco FCG or do the saiga shotguns Use a different setup?

3) Deer slugs or buckshot?

4) How are they with bird shot?

I live in NY so I cant do a pistol grip or use hi cap mags.

I was looking at a saiga 12 today and had a few questions. (I really dont know much about shotguns in general)

1) If I wanted to put a skeleton or a thumbhole stock on it would I have to play the compliance game?

I've never seen a solid answer on this. Only speculation and opinion.

2) If I put on a slr 95 thumbhole stock on it and move the FCG forward can I use a normal tapco FCG or do the saiga shotguns Use a different setup?
the Tapco FCG requires some modification to fit. Since the Saiga 12 has the manual BHO lever the width of the hammer that rides the axis pin needs to be narrowed. Mississippi Auto Arms sells a Tromix modified Tapco FCG that is drop-in. That's what I used and it works great!
3) Deer slugs or buckshot?

Sure. Just stick to rifled slugs and always test fire on gas setting 1. If you have FTE's then switch to gas setting 2. The rule of thumb is to always test fire on 1, and never shoot 3" magnum rounds on setting 2.

4) How are they with bird shot?

Great. Every time I go to the range I put at least 100 rnds of 7-1/2 1-1/8oz federal bulk pack through my gun and we both love it. For some reason my gun spits them out fine on gas setting 1. #8 shot required setting 2 however.

I live in NY so I cant do a pistol grip or use hi cap mags.

bummer. I'd say don't modify it, but I like to stay out of trouble (and away from NY/CA).

Thank you for all the great info. I hoping they still have the saiga 12 when I get my taxes back. I have heard of people putting a thumbhole stock on before so I might be ok there. I hate living in NY,I might wind up living by my brother in GA soon.

Thank you for all the great info. I hoping they still have the saiga 12 when I get my taxes back. I have heard of people putting a thumbhole stock on before so I might be ok there. I hate living in NY,I might wind up living by my brother in GA soon.

No Problem friend. I've spent a little bit of time in N. Ga. Great place to be if you can find a living IMO. If/when my job dries up here in Florida I may be migrating that direction myself.

If you get your Tapco FCG from Dinzag Arms, it will arrive at your door with all the necessary modifications complete. Just drop it in and go from there. :smoke: That is already 3 compliance parts, so you may as well just go ahead and swap out 2 more and you will be in compliance. Get a gas piston (that has to be the easiest conversion; remove your gas plug and the bolt carrier assembly and just pop out the old gas piston), a new fore grip, and you are in business. :up:

No Problem friend. I've spent a little bit of time in N. Ga. Great place to be if you can find a living IMO. If/when my job dries up here in Florida I may be migrating that direction myself.

My brother is in augusta at the moment. Its nice in the outskirts down that way