922r math is making my head hurt

Ok so as I understand it on a stock Saiga foreign 5 round mags are legal... but If I want to use American made mags (3 parts) all I really need to do is change 1 part ie gas piston or stock......

Now, the question is if I change that one part and use my foreign made mags would I be legal or do I need to change that one part back?

Ok so as I understand it on a stock Saiga foreign 5 round mags are legal... but If I want to use American made mags (3 parts) all I really need to do is change 1 part ie gas piston or stock......

Now, the question is if I change that one part and use my foreign made mags would I be legal or do I need to change that one part back?

Yes.

Full conversions is the best way to go, but if you can't or don't want to:

Changing the stock is easier (for example, to the Tapco Intrafuse). Just remember, if you add a pistol grip you can't use the factory mag (or any foreign mag) without swapping out more parts or removing the PG stock and reinstalling the factory stock.

Changing the piston is cheaper and gives you more magazine options.

Yes.

:blink: well that was as clear as mud, just like 922r

Changing the stock is easier (for example, to the Tapco Intrafuse). Just remember, if you add a pistol grip you can't use the factory mag (or any foreign mag) without swapping out more parts or removing the PG stock and reinstalling the factory stock.

I live in the evil state of New Yawk so a conversion to what the S12 was meant to be is not a possibility until I either move or society collapses :)

I just want to use my 5 and 10 round mags with the minimal amount of legal issues and expense, so I can buy more rounds :D

I live in the evil state of New Yawk so a conversion to what the S12 was meant to be is not a possibility until I either move or society collapses :)

I just want to use my 5 and 10 round mags with the minimal amount of legal issues and expense, so I can buy more rounds :D

Your original post didn't state whether you had a shotgun or rifle (it makes a difference).

I answered assuming (incorrectly) a rifle.

I realized my mistake, once you pointed it out above, of leaving off a major detail of which Saiga I use. I claim spending most of my time in the S12 section and 922r brain freeze as my story and I'm going to stick to it :lolol:

I thank you for your patience and clear answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.

The above is incorrect. Many 10 round limited capacity "sporter" rifles are imported with pistol grips.

The thing that kicks you into "non sporting" is the use of a "non sporting" magazine (6+ in a shotty or 11+ in a rifle).

You can convert your Saiga with all foreign parts (pulled from an AKM parts kit, for instance) if you leave the mag well alone and never ever use anything but the factory legislated-capacity magazine(s).

Also, does replacing the gas puck with a US made one count?

The gas puck is the countable "gas piston" on the Saiga shotguns.

Edited by nalioth
The above is incorrect. Many 10 round limited capacity "sporter" rifles are imported with pistol grips.

You might want to confirm that. I was told the combination of a pistol grip and the ability to accept a magazine holding over 10 rounds (5 for a shotgun) was 'non-sporting'. This is why WASR's had to be imported with single stack magazines. If what you say were true, they could just import them with low capacity double stack mags.

You can convert your Saiga with all foreign parts (pulled from an AKM parts kit, for instance) if you leave the mag well alone and never ever use anything but the factory legislated-capacity magazine(s).

I'm sorry, this makes no sense at all. If that were the case, why would IZHMASH spend all the money and effort to create the Saiga sporter configuration? Why not just import them with a pistol grip and 10 (or 5) round magazine?

Just remember, if you add a pistol grip you can't use the factory mag (or any foreign mag) without swapping out more parts or removing the PG stock and reinstalling the factory stock.[/color]

The thing that kicks you into "non sporting" is the use of a "non sporting" magazine (6+ in a shotty or 11+ in a rifle).

What "sporter" rifles are imported with pistol grips ??

LB

Edited by USMC_LB

THe Saiga "sporter" is not just designed for the USA.

When I last looked, the Saiga mag well was not capable of accepting non-factory mags. When I last looked, the user had to mod their Surefires/Master Molders/other to fit in the gun.

The WASR-10 is imported today with all kinds of 'evil features' but only a slimline 10 round magazine. Century mills that open, and adds 922r parts.

When I last looked, the Saiga mag well was not capable of accepting non-factory mags. When I last looked, the user had to mod their Surefires/Master Molders/other to fit in the gun.

You might want to look again, as both Surefires and ProMag design magazines to work in Saigas without alterations.

Also, if what you say were true, why aren't Saiga's imported with pistol grips? They're made for sale elsewhere with them, and judging by the thriving market in conversion parts, they'd sell better.

Saiga-12K, 12S, and 12S EXP01 (also similar models in .410 and 20)

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga12.shtml

Saiga-M3 EXP-01

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga-m3exp.shtml

Saiga-MK and Saiga-5.6S

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga.shtml