I'm another newby with a Saiga. I bought the Saiga M version in 7.62. I really like the thumbhole stock and on this version the trigger group is already in the forward position. Should I still be changing out the FCG for a better feel? I guess I need to do something if I want to use a 30 rd mag and still be 'legal".

Thanks, JCS44

Edited by jcs44

Just "saiga M"? Something tells me the US lineup is radically different from the european one( i mean, besides the neutered saigas). Or could this be a version modified by the importer? Some info on this please?

Edited by Agias

This is the only thing I can think of that sounds like what hes talking about:

Saiga_308v21.jpg

??? But in 7.62x39

Googling "saiga-m" recommends "saiga-m3 exp-01"

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga-m3exp.shtml

If he got that then I'm VERY interested.

Or maybe some conversion someone else already did?

Take pics or else!!! ;)

Thanks for the input folks. This Saiga M I have looks just like the .308 version, but in 7.62 x 39. I got this one from Classic Arms for $399. I believe it is very similar to the VEPR if not the same. As for conversion, I really like the wood furniture and thumbhole. It just feels good. So assuming I keep the stock as is, the only thing to change out to keep the parts count US is the FCG if I want to use hi-cap mags. I've only shot this one a few times and I did not notice the trigger 'slap' you guys refer to. Can someone describe it please?

Regarding the Tapco G2 FCG, I see it as both a single hook and double hook trigger. What would I need?

Thanks, jcs44

Edited by jcs44

Changing out only the FCG will not make your rifle 922r compliant: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=65

Using high-cap mags would be illegal.

as to your G2 question,

You can use either. Most use single hook since the double hook requires an additional slot cut in the trigger hole for the second "hook" to fit in.

Trigger slap is when the trigger slaps back against your finger after you pull the trigger and the weapon fires.

Edited by jamesavery22
Changing out only the FCG will not make your rifle 922r compliant: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=65

Using high-cap mags would be illegal.

Only if the magazines are foreign. If magazines are US made:

14 (Saiga rifle as imported) -3 (US made FCG) - 3 (US made Magazine) = 8 (922 compliant)

Swap out one more part and you don't need to worry about the magazines:

14 (Saiga rifle as imported) -3 (US made FCG) - 1 (US made; piston, or buttstock, or forend) = 10 (922 compliant)

cma q21,

Half correct. And we were both wrong :) Well maybe I was wrong and you were right, it depends!

If he changes the FCG then yes he can use US made mags. I never consider that an option but yeah, my bad. I still should have mentioned it. Slipped my mind :)

As for using surplus mags he'll have to change more than one of (piston, buttstock, hand guard).

parts in bold are foreign parts he has assuming its just like the one pictured. If he really does have a flash hider we were both wrong. If he doesnt then just I was :)

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks, trunnion

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstock

(16) Pistol grips - I counted this in my original list. After googling I dont believe the Fed counts it as a PG. Cali does though

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

Surplus mags make 3 parts, he says he wont change the forearm +1, buttstock cant be changed +1, Receiver +1 , Barrels +1, Mounting blocks/trunnion +1, Bolts +1, Bolt carriers +1 = 10

Still left:

Muzzle attachments

Gas pistons

He can either change those or change something else. handguard would be a lot easier than the piston. Nothing else can be changed without more work than its worth.

So US mags(puke) just the FCG.

Surplus mags, FCG, and 2 others.

AFAIK, Saiga rifles aren't imported with muzzle attachments, so their 922r Parts count is 14 (not the 15 you listed).

14 - 3 (FCG) - 1 (addition 922r part) = 10 (compliant)

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

http://www.dinzagarms.com/922r/922r.html

cma q21,

Half correct. And we were both wrong :) Well maybe I was wrong and you were right, it depends!

If he changes the FCG then yes he can use US made mags. I never consider that an option but yeah, my bad. I still should have mentioned it. Slipped my mind :)

As for using surplus mags he'll have to change more than one of (piston, buttstock, hand guard).

parts in bold are foreign parts he has assuming its just like the one pictured. If he really does have a flash hider we were both wrong. If he doesnt then just I was :)

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks, trunnion

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstock

(16) Pistol grips - I counted this in my original list. After googling I dont believe the Fed counts it as a PG. Cali does though

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

Surplus mags make 3 parts, he says he wont change the forearm +1, buttstock cant be changed +1, Receiver +1 , Barrels +1, Mounting blocks/trunnion +1, Bolts +1, Bolt carriers +1 = 10

Still left:

Muzzle attachments

Gas pistons

He can either change those or change something else. handguard would be a lot easier than the piston. Nothing else can be changed without more work than its worth.

So US mags(puke) just the FCG.

Surplus mags, FCG, and 2 others.

Edited by cma g21

jamesavery22,

I see where you got the idea the rifle has a flash hider ( http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga.shtml ), but that's the Russian site and I've never seen one like that imported in the U.S. (I don't think they can be, with a flash hider).

Look at this one (how the're imported): http://www.centerfiresystems.com/saiga223m...artsai-b-1.aspx

The FSB goes all the way to the end of the barrel, no Flash hider, brake or thread protecter.

The muzzle's also not threaded (you can't see that in the photo, but I have one and so I know it's not threaded).

True that makes sense. Believe I too heard rifles can't be imported with a flash hider. So yeah just I was wrong :)

Come on jcs44, pics!

Hey I'm bad with pics, but you can google the Saiga M and see that its identical to one of the above posts. There's no flash hider and the muzzle has no threads, so based on these postsI think I'm at 14-3 (Surfire Mag)=11, so I still need to do something for compliance. As I said, I really like the wood, so that sort of leaves the FCG. This stock FCG in this rifle does not have any trigger slap. This trigger has some minor take up and then releases pretty lightly - my opinion.

Many thanks,

jcs44

True that makes sense. Believe I too heard rifles can't be imported with a flash hider. So yeah just I was wrong :)

Come on jcs44, pics!

Hey I'm bad with pics, but you can google the Saiga M and see that its identical to one of the above posts. There's no flash hider and the muzzle has no threads, so based on these postsI think I'm at 14-3 (Surfire Mag)=11, so I still need to do something for compliance. As I said, I really like the wood, so that sort of leaves the FCG. This stock FCG in this rifle does not have any trigger slap. This trigger has some minor take up and then releases pretty lightly - my opinion.

Many thanks,

jcs44

You could replace the gas piston.