SGM 10 round and AGP 10 round

Okay I now have both and here are some photos to show the length difference between the SGM and the AGP. I also am going to post some pros and cons to the mags as I see them. I have not fired my shotgun with the mags, I have only hand cycled them through the gun and LULA'd them several times.

0115091012.jpg

0115091014.jpg

As you can obviously see the SGM is longer, but it is not that much.

SGM

pro:

The construction appears to be sturdier with thicker plastic

Easily disassembled with markings for different intervals

cons:

As mentioned earlier, will not handle 3" loads without breakage

Handcycling three mags reveals a FTF at least three times per mag.

Longer

Heavier than the AGP

No steel feed lips.

Lips show wear after several hand cycles

Spring feels weak and follower hangs up in several places in body

AGP

pros:

Proven design

Lighter

Shorter

Steel lips

Spring is stiffer offering a more positive feed

No FTF's

cons:

Appears to be made of a lighter material

umm...appears to be made of a lighter material

I will give a full write up on these mags when I actually have the time to get to the range.

Hope this answers some questions, but I know it doesn't answer all of them.

Edited by hallboss

if i am correct, i also believe with the SGM 12/13 rnd cut down to the 8 rd, it will actually hold 9 shells. only downside is you can't load the mag with 9 rnds on a closed bolt. it really isn't that much size difference b/t the agp 10 rnd and SGM 8/9 rnd-- in my opinion.

Edited by firedawg

My experience between AGP & Surefire is just the opposite. The followers of my AGP hung up at several places and I actually had to spent a bit of time sanding down the follower to get it to feed reliably. My Surefire mags haven't had a single hickup feeding yet, the spring feels softer but with less resistance on the follower it feeds fine.

Once polished up my AGPs feed fine.

With about 100 rnds through my Surefire mag I don't see any wear on the lips themselves to be concerned about. I am concerned about the front latch breaking off, and I'm tempted to do some tests on one of my mags with some 3" 00 buck rem.

Edited by hobbyshooter

An alternative to sanding is using a fired steel shell case. I had one from the Russian shotgun ammo and used it to burnish my AGP magazine to eliminate the sticking spots now the magazine functions flawlessly. I had cycled the shell case in the magazine over 100 times.

It seems to many that the most compelling reason for going the Surefire route is to be able to cut the mag down to an 8 rounder for compliance issues.

There is now an alternative. I was at AGP in Tempe, AZ yesterday picking up a couple of 10 mags. They now have a bolt up mag floor plate that will allow you to cut their mags back to a 8 round, 6 round or what ever. In fact, I saw physical examples of the 8 & 6 at their facility.

Hopefully, this gives some of you the option that you have been looking for.

Email John @ AGP for more details.

Cheers,

Zonie