Furniture Options for my .308

Hello guys,

This is my first post here, so this might be somewhat of a noob question.

Still waiting until the 24th of this month to pick up my .308 from the store (10 day cool down period). As I was inspecting the rifle at the store, I was not too pleased with the synthetic stock/gront grip that it originally comes with from teh factory. Now, granted that I live in California, all SVD or other pistol grip stocks are out of the question. Is there a good place that I can pick up a nice set of either wood or high quality synthetic furniture for my .308? I was hoping to find something that has an integrated cheek rest on the stock and a rubber recoil shoulder pad.

I came across this stock/front grip combo online. Anyone has these? Any opinions.

Thanks you guys.

wooden223stock%20001.JPG

Hello guys,

Still waiting until the 24th of this month to pick up my .308 from the store (10 day cool down period). As I was inspecting the rifle at the store, I was not too pleased with the synthetic stock/gront grip that it originally comes with from teh factory. Now, granted that I live in California, all SVD or other pistol grip stocks are out of the question. Is there a good place that I can pick up a nice set of either wood or high quality synthetic furniture for my .308? I was hoping to find something that has an integrated cheek rest on the stock and a rubber recoil shoulder pad.

I came across this stock/front grip combo online. Anyone has these? Any opinions.

Thanks you guys.

wooden223stock%20001.JPG

That's the standard wooden stock set from the factory rather than the standard plastic set-up. It gives a totally different "heft" to the rifle. I've handled both types & I prefer the wood. You can sometimes find a wood set in a forum's WTS or on an auction site...AuctionArms, Gunbroker,etc. Most who have the wood say they prefer it over the plastic. All the Saiga rifles(except the new thumbhole style) have interchangeable furniture.

Hello guys,

Thanks you guys.

wooden223stock%20001.JPG

That's the standard wooden stock set from the factory rather than the standard plastic set-up. It gives a totally different "heft" to the rifle. I've handled both types & I prefer the wood. You can sometimes find a wood set in a forum's WTS or on an auction site...AuctionArms, Gunbroker,etc. Most who have the wood say they prefer it over the plastic. All the Saiga rifles(except the new thumbhole style) have interchangeable furniture.

Thank you. Seems like I will just have to get my hands on that factory stock/foregrip combo. I wonder if it is possible to amek the finish a little darker though. But in any case, I belive that it will match the gun a lot better and wood is always more pleasant to touch. Plus, the recoil pad would be a huge plus for the .308.

You can always make wood furniture for it yourself. I practiced with a pine 2x4 just to make sure it would work and later I'm going to make a butt for my 16" .308 out of some american walnut.

I say, don't bother with paying for the overpriced pre-made crap, just buy a good piece of wood and work on it for several hours. If you break it you can always make a new one.

You can always make wood furniture for it yourself. I practiced with a pine 2x4 just to make sure it would work and later I'm going to make a butt for my 16" .308 out of some american walnut.

I say, don't bother with paying for the overpriced pre-made crap, just buy a good piece of wood and work on it for several hours. If you break it you can always make a new one.

yes, that was one of my options, but at the same time, I beleive it would be jsut too difficult to make. The parts i really worried about were the cheek piece and the texture that it applied to the handle on the stock. I really want that grooved surface because a plain stock looks naked.

Are you going to use a scope or iron sights for the rifle? You really don't need much of a cheek piece for iron sights, but if you're using a scope you might just want to buy the pre-made furniture. Scopes on the .308 can get annoying because of the recoil and something really comfortable is nice, but with the iron sights you can hold it like a shotgun and aim well.

Are you going to use a scope or iron sights for the rifle? You really don't need much of a cheek piece for iron sights, but if you're using a scope you might just want to buy the pre-made furniture. Scopes on the .308 can get annoying because of the recoil and something really comfortable is nice, but with the iron sights you can hold it like a shotgun and aim well.

First few weeks, i will use the iron sights to master my shooting with them. Eventually thoughm I will upgrade to 8x42 POSP. I am also planning to get the AK-74 threaded front sight and the compensator to reduce the recoil.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello guys,

Thanks you guys.

wooden223stock%20001.JPG

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=10399

http://www.dinzagarms.com/furniture/furniture.html

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/

Ironwood located in san jose ca.

Edited by atakacorp