Overall length on a Form 1 question

Tony,

I am going to fill out my form 1 and need to know the overall length of a Saiga-12 with a midlength ace skeleton folder with internal receiver block and a 8" barrel without any muzzle device connected........

Also, please hurry and open up for new builds :D

Thanks for the info.

eseaton

Edited by eseaton

Tony,

I guess you have had other things on your mind. When you get a chance, can you let me know the overall length of a 8" barreled Saiga-12 with an Ace mid-length folder (internal receiver block)?

Thanks

Eric

Tony doesn't really post here anymore, he's too busy.

In any case he's never built one with an internal receiver block so he's not going to know the length.

Since you have the gun there, just lay all the parts out and measure it or even do ti mathematically.

Tony doesn't really post here anymore, he's too busy.

In any case he's never built one with an internal receiver block so he's not going to know the length.

Since you have the gun there, just lay all the parts out and measure it or even do ti mathematically.

Thanks for the answer, Bob. The deal is this. I want to get my paperwork sent off before I actually receive all of the folding stock parts and I figured you guys would know the answer. Can you tell me based on the flat welded on piece you use what the overall length would be with the 8.5" folder and a 8" barrel?

By the way. If I have my barrel cut down to 10", what work has to be done to make it reliable in relation to the length of the gas tube, etc? Would the front grips have to be shortened?

Thanks for the info and time it takes to get it to me.

eseaton

I believe the OAL would go by with the stock folded, actually, wouldnt it? It is determined by the shortest distance if you lay the gun out, and measure to each extremity, which in some cases is actually to the back of the PG, depending on the style and setup of the particular firearm.

WITHOUT the stock attached, and from memory, now, not with a ruler, the ace internal block and the folding mechanism are ABOUT 3/4" total, it is slightly less with the mechanism folded, as the folding mechanism is recessed into itself, to achieve compactness.

there is a variable in this, in that the rear of the receiver is modifed for the ace internal block, and in doing this modification, one must do a bit of fiddly dinking around to get it to mount to the rear of the receiver correctly. This is why there is a nominal fee involved when a gunsmith installs this setup. Its a really nice setup, mind you, and worth the extra $$$ IMHO.

I know you cant use an ABOUT THIS LONG on your form 1, so I would suggest you look around the board and find guys that have this setup, and ask them to measure the length of the exposed internal block and folding mechanism, with it folded. I believe TTR has the setup on his "nail gun", maybe you could ask him for a measurement of that area of his weapon with the stock folded, and go from there.

anyhoo, just trying to help.

I had this question myself here very recently on a Form 1, and as it turns out the OAL is determined with the stock fully extended...........

Didn't make sense to me, but that's the BATF spec...............

(Info came from Tony Rumore, by the way............)

I can see how that makes sense. Are you up shits creek if you dont like your shorter stock, and want to put a longer pull one on then?

You would think that they would want to know HOW SHORT it can get, not how short it is in longest position on a folder or telescoping stock, though....thats the part I dont get.

Can you tell me based on the flat welded on piece you use what the overall length would be with the 8.5" folder and a 8" barrel?

By the way. If I have my barrel cut down to 10", what work has to be done to make it reliable in relation to the length of the gas tube, etc? Would the front grips have to be shortened?

30".

There are a lot of tricks involved in making a 10" gun run reliably, most notably moving the gas block back which requires machining capability.