KVAR conversion set

I posted this on the conversion forum, but thought I would do it here, also. :rolleyes:

OK, I got the $83 KVAR conversion set to do a full PG conversion on my 16" .223.

It included a US made Warsaw length stock with but trap (the length I prefer), US made AK grip (which I also prefer to SAW grip), screw and receiver nut/block, trigger guards and rivets, and US single hook trigger. I use only US high caps (3 compliance parts) so I am not too worried about count.

I assume I will use the disconnector hook, sleeve, and spring from the original Siaga disconector block assembly. Is this correct?

Second, since it uses the Factory hammer, do I assemble with or without the BHO? I don't care, because I never use it.

I have looked at the two excellent step by step tutorials that the links are posted, so I am not worried about the conversion, just wanted to ask a couple questions before i get started. I am re-using the Siaga trigger guard. I don't want to mess with replacing the mag cathgc. Mine functions flawlessly with Surefire and Promag Saiga specific 30s

I suggest deleting the BHO:

mine is in the way, and annoys the crap out of me. It is FAR easier during the conversion to delete it, and you will not have the annoyance of a metal tab getting in the way of your trigger finger.

Now, if this were to be a combat weapon, the BHO would NEVER be removed or taken off... but this is NOT going to be a combat weapon, is NOT my primary SHTF gun, and is not likely ever going to see a combat situation...

with that said, I am leaving mine as it is, just in case! :rolleyes:

I suggest deleting the BHO:

mine is in the way, and annoys the crap out of me. It is FAR easier during the conversion to delete it, and you will not have the annoyance of a metal tab getting in the way of your trigger finger.

+1

After finally getting it installed on my first conversion, I found the position (next to the trigger) bothered me so much I ended up taking it out.

I used a small washer next to the hammer to fill the space where the BHO was (not needed on unaltered AK hammers).

If I decide I need a BHO, I'll go with the altered safety lever.

YMMV.

Partial answer to my question. Started tearing apart the Saiga to do the PG conversion. Removed the two rear pins, the trigger, linkage, hammer, and the FCG.

The problem was this: The KVAR US trigger has a hole just big enough for the trigger pin, but not large enough for the sleeve that keeps the factory FCG together. After an initial few bad words, I stopped and thought about it. I can do it just like an AR 15 trigger assembly installation! :rolleyes: Sure glad I had the brainstorm. I would have been really irritated to have to have ordered a KVAR disconector, just to find out I would have to do it like an AR anyway!

The Saiga disconnector will work with the KVAR trigger, but I had to cut the sleeve running through the disconnector from the Saiga factory FCG shorter (about in half) to fit inside the KVAR trigger. It shims and centers the disconnector and the KVAR trigger, and works like a champ. I am using one of the cut down rear pins to keep it together during installation, and will drive it out with the real trigger pin.

Maybe tomorrow the trigger guard comes off. Working left handed SUCKS!