School me on SBS Saiga-12 mods

When I receive my Form 1 back, I intend to have the barrel cut to around 10". What I am not clear on is does the gas tube have to be shortened, new gas bleed holes drilled, shortened foregrips fitted, etc. Anyone who has been through this, please give me the info I need to have the job done right. I like the look of a barrel around 10 inches with the Galil foregrip installed. I would want some new sites, maybe Krebs or the H&K style. It will have the conversion already done by me with the internal receiver block and mid-length Ace folder in place. I do not want it so short that the fireball singes what hair I have left and loss of velocity is a concern as well.

I am open to all ideas and would appreciate any ideas, experiences, etc.

Also, please recommend someone reasonable that can do the above work and then re-thread my barrel and possibly finish the weapon again. What kind of price (ballpark) am I looking at since the main conversion will already be done?

Thanks to all for the ideas and help.

eseaton

I suppose with a 10" barrel the gas block could be left in place, but the muzzle will be about 1" from the gas block. It could be made to work.

Personally, I'd move it back at least a little.

With an 8" barrel, there's no choice, as the muzzle is back past the gas block's original position.

How difficult and expensive is moving the gas tube back? When moved, do the gas bleed-off holes need to be redrilled? Based on my original question, what would the ballpark cost be to make those changes?

Thanks

eseaton

First thing is to find a gunsmith that specializes in this work (that isn't booked until next year). Tell them what you are trying to do and they will tell you what it costs.

For reference, Tromix charges about $850 for the SBS job on your gun (price includes folding stock/pistol grip conversion).

Difficult? Not really, with the right equipment. Yes, the gas bleed off holes must be redrilled, and. with a 10" barrel, the old holes welded up.

I couldn't price it until I knew exactly what you wanted, just like Bobash said.