Newbie would love your help; This forum rocks!

Hi All,

So I just bought my first S12 this past week. Actually bought it as a group project for us to convert (I run the Dallas Target & Action Shooters Group). I read through the entire tech section, and didn't see my question covered so forgive me if it's a repost.

Going to go with the Moly Resin to refinish the gun (black flat). I know they say to blast the finish off the gun, but it also says sanding may suffice. Has anyone tried sanding the finish before spraying, and how did it come out?

Thanks!

Videos from Past DTAS Events

DTAS Web Site

logoredcopydw0.jpg

I have no experience with this product but do have plenty of experience with paint prep.

If you were to ask them then I think you would find that they suggest sand blasting as the method for prep as it is easier to remove all of the old material which could cause problems for you as the finish ages.

Sandblasting also has the added benefit of increasing surface area and providing a better bonding surface than sanding alone.

Call around to some small shops that deal with auto repair/ restoration/ industrial coatings/ they should have cabinets that will work. You want to use a fine abrasive and not a rough/ heavy abrasive. Another thing you should do if you go the DIY route is make sure you tape up and plug anything you do not want sandblasted especially barrel end and chamber end. A good duct tape should do fine but spend a lot of time cleaning before and after. Also clean the gun with brake clean to remove all residual oil as it can seep out and ruin the finish.

Good luck with the project and welcome

My gunsmith is finishing up my Saiga 12, and they are doing moly on it as well. I do know that like many firearm finishers......they parkerize before spraying any applied finish. The prep is the same, as far as bead blasting and thoroughly degreasing. However, the parkerizing really makes for a nice base for the moly, teflon, ceramic, etc. to bond to. Since you run a group or shop......I figured maybe someone has park experience and a tank??? If so, I'd definitely lay a base of parkerization. If not, just bead blast and coat.

Good luck, and be sure to post pics of the end result.....and welcome!