Choate Dragunov Stock

<br />Hi all. I was thinking about purchasing a Choate Dragunov Stock to put on my .308. I am moving the trigger forward and want to make sure the Choate will be just a bolt on with little or no modifications. Thanks in advance.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It will fit (I have them on three Saiga's a .223 and two .308's)

Just make sure you get the ones made for stamped receivers.

Same here.

I had to take a Dremel to mine because I reused the stock trigger guard, just turned it backwards and so I had the make clearance for the curve in the guard.

Thanks for everyones reply! I now have the thumb hole stock with the unmodified pistol grip... It is very uncomfortable to shoot in my opinion with this stock.

I read somewhere that the Choate Dragunov Stock stock has a small hand grip. Is this true? I have big hands and am looking for comfort. Again thanks to all for your help!

Edited by Bobriden1
I have large hands, and it doesn't really bother me. If I were trying to fit the entire palm of my hand inside the thumbhole it probably would, but it's called a THUMBhole for a reason.

Thanks!! I am going to order on from Sportsman guide right now!! They seem to have a good price on them. Gotta get the cheek pad from elswhere though. Not available at sportsman guide. Midway has them on backorder. Thanks all for your input.

Bob

Edited by Bobriden1

Be advised that the cheek "pad" is made out of the same hard plastic as the stock. At some point, I'm going to take mine off and make some sort of soft pad for it.

Edit to add: You'll probably pay more, but I suspect you'll get better service/less hassle if you buy from Brownell's.

Edited by Netpackrat

Please forgive my ignorance, do I understand correctly, this stock does NOT require a P/G hole? One more question. In the 922 count; P/G +1, U.S. made stock -1, net zero, no change in parts count? Of course the three trigger group parts , remove 3 foreign parts. Thanks for any help.

Yes it DOES require a pg hole!

Oh Boy. Just was working on my 308 and it has no pistol grip hole. Did not think I needed one with my new stock intentions. Thought it just screwed in with the tang. Gotta put put a hole in you say?. My 7.62 had a pistol grip hole. Is it difficult to put one in? Any suggestions or tips? Thanks.

Please forgive my ignorance, do I understand correctly, this stock does NOT require a P/G hole? One more question. In the 922 count; P/G +1, U.S. made stock -1, net zero, no change in parts count? Of course the three trigger group parts , remove 3 foreign parts. Thanks for any help.

While you might be able to use the Choate Dragunov stock without the PG hole. it was designed to be attached there, as well as the rear of the reciever.

The Choate Dragunov will count as 1 922r compliance part. Also, since you need to move the trigger to use it, you could get 3 more for the FCG.

You may be thinking of the RAA skeleton stock (looks similar). That attaches without FCG mods, does not need PG hole, and does not count towards 922r compliance.

Yep. Me and Thud got plans. Let me know how your conversion works out for you! I started today but burned up all my Dremmel attachments. Darn rivets are hard as as heck to get out!! Got one out ,bu the other one needs new dremmels. I will pick up more tomorrow.

One more question. In the 922 count; P/G +1, U.S. made stock -1, net zero, no change in parts count?

It doesn't matter whether or not the Choate stock counts as having a pistol grip. Since it is US made, you are not adding a foreign pistol grip, and it is the total number of foreign parts in the rifle that matter. Since you are removing the foreign (original) stock and replacing it with a US made stock, you have reduced the number of foreign parts by 1. If you also replace the 3 trigger group parts at the same time, you don't need to do anything else, no matter what mags you are using; there are 14 total foreign parts in a stock Saiga, so reducing that by 4 gets you down to the required 10.

Actually, you shouldn't even need any US parts for this configuration if you stay with the factory magazines, since the thumbhole stock and standard AK location trigger group is an importable configuration. But adding the 3 piece US trigger group and Choate stock will remove all doubt, since it gets you down to 10 foreign parts.