Foregrip that has a bipod connection

I was wondering what the best front handguard is for attaching a bipod? The type of bipod that just hooks over the barrel is probably bad for accuracy. Can the front sling attachment be swapped for a bipod mount on the stock grip? Thanks. :smoke:

The thinner part of the barrel "whips" during firing while the thicker part closer to the chamber barely has any "whip" at all.If you use a regular sling swivel stud with a backing plate and nut on the inside of the handguard on the first 1/4 of the barrel forward of the the trunnion you should be alright in the accuracy department.

Saiga-DMR.jpg

Also,I use my bipod legs as foregrips when firing offhand but I wear heavy gloves and have a very solid firing position.If you are not so "leaned in" and solid using a bipod leg as a foregrip might cause it to collapse on you so YMMV.

21012009203-001.jpg

Edited by SOPMOD
I was wondering what the best front handguard is for attaching a bipod? The type of bipod that just hooks over the barrel is probably bad for accuracy. Can the front sling attachment be swapped for a bipod mount on the stock grip? Thanks. :smoke:

The thinner part of the barrel "whips" during firing while the thicker part closer to the chamber barely has any "whip" at all.If you use a regular sling swivel stud with a backing plate and nut on the inside of the handguard on the first 1/4 of the barrel forward of the the trunnion you should be alright in the accuracy department.

Saiga-DMR.jpg

Also,I use my bipod legs as foregrips when firing offhand but I wear heavy gloves and have a very solid firing position.If you are not so "leaned in" and solid using a bipod leg as a foregrip might cause it to collapse on you so YMMV.

21012009203-001.jpg

Oh thanks- I didnt know that about the barrel whip. You have one of the best looking 308s ive seen here. The bipod mount on yours looks like its attached to the foregrip. I dont quite understand what you mean - Is yours mounted to the sling attachment?

I was thinking about getting the surefire front grip with the rails on it. You can get bipods that with weaver rail attachments, that's what I was looking at. But I think the surefire handguard is pretty ugly.

I know what you mean. We need more Saiga 308 handguards.

With the Harris Bipod(and clones)you use a little stud that has a threaded tail like a machine screw.You drill a tiny hole in your forend,insert the stud(I placed a thin washer between the stud and the wood on the outside of the forend) then you insert another washer or backing plate on the inside of the forend then crank down a nut and lock washer and cut off the excess threaded segment that would touch your barrel when you reinstall the forend with the newly affixed sling stud.

Go to any gun shop and ask them for a fine threaded dome sling swivel stud and there is a high likelihood they have a drawer full of them loose somewhere and would turn loose of one for $5 so you don't have to buy the whole $15-20 kit.Take that stud to the hardware store and find a nut that fits it and two washers and go home and fire up the drill and you are in business.

Oh,by the way you don't have to buy a Harris if your budget is tight,A buddy of mine showed me they have a clone called a "Rock Mount" bipod at Wal-Mart for $40