Saiga 223 questions...scope, mount, ammo, bipod?

I have just purchased a Saiga 223 and I have a few questions. I'm not planning on converting it to a pistol grip stock.

1. Ammo...what reasonably priced ammo shoots best in your .223 Saigas?

2. Scope mount...is the IZHMASH SAIGA scope mount the best way to go? If I get that mount, is it high enough so I can still use the open sights without removing the scope? And if so, what is the largest objective lense that I can use and still be able to see the open sights? Can I mount a scope with a 50mm objective lens?

3. Scope suggestions...I think I read somewhere here that if I don't customize the rifle with a pistol grip stock, a standard length scope works better than a compact scope because of the eye relief. What kind of scopes (power, objective lense size, etc.) are you guys using on your Saiga 223s?

4. I've seen a few pictures of the Saiga with a bipod. Is there a specific brand or model that works better with the Saiga?

Thanks

Moonlitin

Edited by Moonlitin
2. Scope mount...is the IZHMASH SAIGA scope mount the best way to go? If I get that mount, is it high enough so I can still use the open sights without removing the scope? And if so, what is the largest objective lense that I can use and still be able to see the open sights? Can I mount a scope with a 50mm objective lens?

4. I've seen a few pictures of the Saiga with a bipod. Is there a specific brand or model that works better with the Saiga?

A couple of responses...

You can see your ironswith the Saiga factory scope mount. It should allow for pretty good front objective size.

The only bipod (well, bipod "type" -there are similar ones) for Saiga use that functions well is the Harris -mounted on the bottom front of the handguard.

Lollygagger :unsure:

ammo, i've shoot everything with out any real problems, i've had about 3 jams and thats after i converted it, those were with hollow points, but wolf is cheap, federal 5.56 nato is cheap and fun, remington umc, are pretty cheap, this is a real fun cheap to shoot gun, i don't use a scope or bi pod so can't anwser those

• 2 months later...

I just ordered one of the POSP 8x42 scopes from NIGHTVISIONWEB.com

From what I've read here, the Saiga 223 has a 1 in 9 twist, and most rifles seem to shoot the 55gr or 62 gr bullets best. I have some Wolf 55gr FMJ and JHP, Winchester 55gr FMJ, Ultramax 55gr FMJ, and I ordered some of the Radway Green 62gr FMJ from AimSurplus.

When my scope and the rest of my ammo gets here I'll get to the range and post my results.

Thanks

Moonlitin

I shoot mostly cheap stuff. Wolf has tended to be fairly poor for consistency, it also shoots low compared to federal 55gr FMJ. But Its probably a little different to each rifle.

My favorite has been Barnaul 62gr HP. Cheap as wolf, but better consistency through mine with tighter groups. Next would be the Federal brown box 193 and then the Winchester white box stuff. I have used some Ultramax & black hills 55grHP varmint that was better yet, but I don't use mine for varminting so I stick to the cheap stuff.

Did you get bipod yet?

• 3 weeks later...

I finally took my Saiga 223 to the range today. The fixed sights were about 2 inches low and 4 inches right without making any changes. I got the elevation right, but I couldn't adjust the windage because I had to make a few modifications to my sight pusher before it would work. I put my POSP 8x42 mil dot scope on and got it zeroed in. I ran a total of 250 rounds through it today without any malfunctions. Every round fed correctly, fired, and extracted without a jam. I was using Ultramax 55 gr fmj, Barnaul 62 gr hp, and Radway Green 62 gr fmj. I can't say for sure if one brand was more accurate than the other because I was adjusting my scope. I'll have a more complete report after my text trip to the range.

I also ordered some Federal xm193 to try on my next trip to the range.

Moonlitin

Edited by Moonlitin