Gas setting changes, post conversion.

I originally thought my S-12 was overgassed. 1rst time out, I put about 125 rounds of Federal value pack low brass thru it on setting 1. No feeding issues. After converting this S-12, I took it to the range and shot more of the same Federal, using the same AGP mags, to check it for proper function. On the 1rst shot I noticed a difference immediately. The hull barely ejected. About every 3rd shot, the hull didn't clear. On setting 2, no problems.

This isn't an issue, as now my S-12 is functioning as intended. But it is curious.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me yesterday with my newly converted S12.

But mine would fire the low brass on setting one with the Russian Mags but not the AGP's.

Like you said I do not consider this an issue because low brass on 2 with the AGP was fine with no FTE's.

I thought it was strange and am glad to hear I am not alone.

Did you try your Russian 5 rounders on 1 with low brass?

after converting my S-12 it cycles federal target on 1 if held nice an tight in the shoulder. when i set it to 2 i can noticeably feel the bolt carrier crashing back hard on the receiver. so i just keep it on 1 for everything until my drum an gas plug show up from MD. i'm hoping that should even things out a lil better.

Edited by PRISONSHANK

My gun is and has always been the same way. I have put hundreds of rounds of Walmart Federal 7-1/2 bird shot through it on setting 1. It doesn't spit the hulls far, but it does spit them far enough to land in the trash can about 3' away.

I've shot 2 different factory mags, 4 different AGP mags, and 2 different Surefire 13 rnd mags. It doesn't matter, they all go right through it (except when the AGP follower was binding).

Rem #8 shot wouldn't cycle on setting one, but I haven't tried it again since the conversion. Maybe I'll try some Federal #8 this weekend.

Here's where it got weird. 1oz S&B Slugs wouldn't cycle on 1. Stove pipe everytime, and I put at least 100 through the gun. Always would I have to switch it to setting 2.

I now have the gunfixer gas knob and on setting one Fed 7-1/2 wouldn't even stovepipe. It would just slide the bolt a little then rechamber the spent hull. Setting 2 would spit them about 2 or 3 feet.

I figured it had more to do with the shot weight since the 7-1/2 is 1-1/8oz and the S&B Stove pipes were 1oz. 3" Win magnum 1 buck didn't appear to damage anything so I just keep shooting. :dollar:

I had exactly the same thing happen to me yesterday with my newly converted S12.

But mine would fire the low brass on setting one with the Russian Mags but not the AGP's.

Like you said I do not consider this an issue because low brass on 2 with the AGP was fine with no FTE's.

I thought it was strange and am glad to hear I am not alone.

Did you try your Russian 5 rounders on 1 with low brass?

No, I only used the AGP 10 rd mags.