Portugese Ammo--Corrosion

Newbie here. Just got in 1,000 rounds, Port. Nato 7.62x51 ammo from Samco. Opened one BP, and one box. 13 out of 20 rnds have corrosion from as much as 20% and less. Is this normal for Milsurp? Any suggestions on removing it? Thanks for any help.

This is what I did a while back when I got some ammo like that ,got a shell holder that would fit in a electric drill and some 0000 steel and started on each shell one at a time .

Newbie here. Just got in 1,000 rounds, Port. Nato 7.62x51 ammo from Samco. Opened one BP, and one box. 13 out of 20 rnds have corrosion from as much as 20% and less. Is this normal for Milsurp? Any suggestions on removing it? Thanks for any help.

I have a couple cans of 400 linked rounds... so far I have only opened one, the other is sealed. All in the first can look PRISTINE!

Just be careful of vibrating the cases too much... you dont want to cause the powder inside to turn configuration... similar in logic to why you NEVER TUMBLE loaded brass in a case polishing tumbler...

If you can just wipe them down with some brasso and a cloth... as long as they chamber in the saiga.. I wouldnt even BLINK when it comes to feeding them to your .308! :up:

:smoke:

Seems to be mostly surface corrosion. I would not shoot it if the case integrity seemed to be compromised. I'm trying to see if Classic will let me return the unopened packs. They advertised as "Quite possibly the finest quality surplus ammo" with pictures of pristine rounds. Needless to say I was disappointed. I wish I would have bought some Wolf or Brown Bear for a lower cost per round from Sportsman Guide. This stuff is pretty rough.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's my Samco experience. Ordered 1K early Feb. Got it in with bug crap on BPs and holes in 'em. Opened two up and found corrosion like everybody. Called up and they sent UPS to pick it up. Today I got my "hand picked" replacement in.

Now only one BP with a tiny hole in it and the packs were all clean. Opened two BPs and had some corrosion on both. The one with the hole had the most, but not near as bad as first shipment. The second one I opened had some, almost negligible.

Conclusion: They must have a bunch of the stuff that is bad, and sending it out hoping people don't bother with sending it back. When you do call 'em on it, they send out much better stuff. Some of the rounds have some corrosion, but not even close to the bad stuff. About 1/2 is super clean, 35% mostly insignificant, and 15% with a little more. The price makes it worth if you get the better stuff. They paid all the shipping except the first one. For me, the price is worth the hassle. After shipping, cost was .51 cents a round. Let them know that you have a "friend" and what he went through. "Just be sure not to send me the bad stuff, or I WILL send it back."

I guess it all depends on how much you have on hand and how bad you want/need more.

A lot of this ammo came in 10 to 15 yrs ago. All of that I had was good quality. Still have 2 1,000rd cases left. Opened 1 battle pack other day, still looked as good as first ones opened. Fired 100rds, no problems. So, it makes me think a lot of the newer stuff imported was not stored proper overseas or is no some of last found, cleaning out overseas stocks. Don't know of any wholesalers who would have been stock piling this stateside. :smoke: