Trigger group (FCG) Polishing tutorial...here's how I did it....

Hi guys. First I want to say, I am not by any means an AK expert or a gunsmith...but I have done a very nice BASIC trigger job to a few of my AKs. I have shot them after doing each one and they shoot ALOT better and ALOT Smoother. It takes all of about 20-30 minutes (at the MOST) and its more than worth it. I use Cratex which is a diamond dust impregnated rubber compound use for polishing. I dont use Sandpaper becuz anything more than Cratex or something similar may take the FCG out of Spec....and you DON'T want that. IF you DO use Sandpaper, use a HIGH HIGH grit like 600grit to 800grit or higher. I recommend Cratex above anything else. You should be able to buy it at your local Hardware store or Brownells. They have cone, cylinder, and other shaped pieces in various grits strengths, I use med. to fine grit. They have holes in them so you can attach them onto a threaded Dremel Tool Mandrel.

So here's how I did it...and the parts I polished up. Use my tutorial at your own risk. :)

TriggerJob-1.jpg

First of all, here's before and after pics of what the FCG looks like.

====

TriggerJob-2.jpg

Pic-1: I like to start with the underside of the Trigger Hook(or Hooks) and smooth it out. The black Piece I am using to polish there is the Cratex I spoke of in the first paragraph.

Pic-2:Then I polish up the inside of the disconnector hook. We'll do the Nose of the disconnector hook as well. (See pic#7)

Pic-3 & 4: Then I polish up the top(connect's to the disconnector hook) and side(connects to the Trigger hook, be it double or single) of the Hammer that faces the bolt and firing pin.

====

TriggerJob-3.jpg

Pic-5:Then I polish the top of the curved portion of the hammer that contacts/pushes the disconnector,it is opposite the Top part I polish that connects to the disconnector hook. This area moves the disconnector hook back, while the hammer itself is put into battery by the carrier coming back at the same time....(I think I said that right...)

Pic-6:Next up,I like to polish up the Safety Lever...its NOT needed, but it feels like it helps operate the safety smoother. I like to polish up the bead that locks into the divits on the receiver of the AK and any sharp edges.

Pic-7: Here's what I mentioned above in Pic #2 to take a look at. I polish the outside of the disconnector hook...the 'nose'.

Pic-8:This pic shows some of the FCG parts after the polishing work. I sometimes polish up more of the area than I need to, but I like to take off most (if not all) of the sharp edges on the FCG. It makes the AK shoot smoother IMHO.

====

Anyways....that's my basic tutorial. This is one way you can D.I.Y. ,but it isn't at the level of a professional trigger job, or pro gunsmithing. Please let me know what you all think of my tutorial, as I said above I'm not a gunsmith or pro at this, I am just trying to help bros get a better running AK. Thanx for looking and please let me know how your projects and trigger work end up.

Side note- Professional trigger jobs are much more extensive than this. THIS is just a basic one. Guys Like Cobra 76 Two and the guys and Tromix do a great job and this tutorial is not a substitute for the level of work they can provide.

Edited by Eric Draven

Yep....makes everything run better and smoother. :) I personally dont prefer to polish the bolt carrier becuz its a dead giveaway....literally. As you guys know I make knives for a living, but doing gunsmithing is so much fun, its mighty hard to resist.

:smoke:

And yes, Eric Draven IS my real name.