Saiga 7.62x39 Conversion

First off, I'd like to say what a great site this is. I've watched multiple videos and read countless threads on the Saiga rifle and their conversions. My goal is to convert one into an AK-103 clone. This is what I plan on purchasing shortly if I have all the parts right. It seems like everything I need is available from Dinzag. Here is what I plan on buying:

K-VAR Nato Black 223 x39 4 piece stock set

Pistol Grip Nut and Screw

Tapco Fire Control Group

Nylon Hole Plugs (6)

Bullet Guide Kit Round Trunnion

AK74 Front Sight Block

Press-On Lower Handguard Retainer

Gas Tube

M24x1.5 '74 Brake or Hider

I have just a few questions before I get started.

1. Can any competent gunsmith press off the FSB/gas block and press on my new parts and cut the barrel for the locking lever? (No reliefs need to be machined on the side of the barrel apparently because the one available by Dinzag has the anti-rotation tabs removed? Not sure what that's referring to) Or do I need a gunsmith that specializes in AKs.

2. Adding the FSB with bayonet lug and threads to accept a compensator or flash hider is perfectly legal from what research I've done. Is this correct?

3. Having the cleaning rod in place under the barrel is a feature I want for traditional AK looks. I have never handled an AK an not familiar with how the rod mounts. The parts I'm ordering will allow for one, but does the length from the lower handguard retainer and FSB need to be a certain length for it fit? Or does the rod need to be modified in length? Maybe none of this is necessary, not quite sure how the rod fits in there.

4. Is there anything else I'm missing or not thinking about?

I know there are many threads like this asking a lot of the same questions, but I just want to make sure I do it right before spend the cash. Thanks for your help.

1. Can any competent gunsmith press off the FSB/gas block and press on my new parts and cut the barrel for the locking lever? (No reliefs need to be machined on the side of the barrel apparently because the one available by Dinzag has the anti-rotation tabs removed? Not sure what that's referring to) Or do I need a gunsmith that specializes in AKs.
Depends on their competence.
2. Adding the FSB with bayonet lug and threads to accept a compensator or flash hider is perfectly legal from what research I've done. Is this correct?
We can't answer that. We don't know where you live. If you live in Joisey or Noo Yawk, they'll send ya to the 'lectric chair for having exposed threads on your muzzle.
3. Having the cleaning rod in place under the barrel is a feature I want for traditional AK looks. I have never handled an AK an not familiar with how the rod mounts. The parts I'm ordering will allow for one, but does the length from the lower handguard retainer and FSB need to be a certain length for it fit? Or does the rod need to be modified in length? Maybe none of this is necessary, not quite sure how the rod fits in there.
Not sure if you've thought about this, but Dinzag's no-mods lower retainer is most likely gonna cost you ¼ of the price you'll be paying for the work done to get the miltary surplus lower handguard retainer installed

My opinion: If you're gonna make an AK-103 clone, it has to have the side folding stock.

My opinion: If you're gonna make an AK-103 clone, it has to have the side folding stock.

I agree. Most of the folding stocks are skeleton style, where can I find one that looks like the kvar buttstock? There is one of a different style on k-vars site that is out of stock, are there other options? From what I've read, to install a folding stock I need to modify the trunnion or get a kit that comes with a new one? I guess I could go with the bolt on lower hand guard retainer, but it looks more AR like and I prefer the press on style. I could live with either though, especially if its going to cost quite a bit to get it done. For the threaded barrel issue, I live in Texas.

From what I've read, to install a folding stock I need to modify the trunnion or get a kit that comes with a new one? <snip>. For the threaded barrel issue, I live in Texas.

You will definitely need the sidefolder rear block and associated hardware to install a Russian pattern sidefolder. You'll also need to have the receiver cut to accept it.

In Texas you're fine with threads.

Edited by nalioth

I agree. Most of the folding stocks are skeleton style, where can I find one that looks like the kvar buttstock? There is one of a different style on k-vars site that is out of stock, are there other options? From what I've read, to install a folding stock I need to modify the trunnion or get a kit that comes with a new one? I guess I could go with the bolt on lower hand guard retainer, but it looks more AR like and I prefer the press on style. I could live with either though, especially if its going to cost quite a bit to get it done. For the threaded barrel issue, I live in Texas.

There are only a few vendors who have those in this week. Here is one:

http://www.tac47industries.com/content-pro..._stock_set.html

Good luck!