922r Question

I have a new Saiga 12 on the way, and I'm new to the whole 922r thing and want to remain legal with my new gun. I read somewhere on here (and now can't find it) that if I use 12 round magazines in my shotgun on a stock, factory Saiga, I'm no longer in 922r compliance because the magazines in question have two rounds over the ten round limit. USA made mags, floorplate and follower. Is that true? Anyone know where I can go to educate myself? I've been shooting for 32 years and have never had to worry about this, so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for the help...

I have a new Saiga 12 on the way, and I'm new to the whole 922r thing and want to remain legal with my new gun. I read somewhere on here (and now can't find it) that if I use 12 round magazines in my shotgun on a stock, factory Saiga, I'm no longer in 922r compliance because the magazines in question have two rounds over the ten round limit. USA made mags, floorplate and follower. Is that true? Anyone know where I can go to educate myself? I've been shooting for 32 years and have never had to worry about this, so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for the help...

922r doesn't deal with round capacity. Unless your state has a problem with it there is no limit on number of rounds. 922r basically says is you cannot assemble a weapon banned from importation using MORE THAN 10 foreign parts from a specific list. So if you change a Saiga 12 from it's stock configuration you have to make sure you have ten or less foreign parts (from the specific list). From what I've read a Saiga 12 has 13 parts (that are on the list) and possibly 14 if you have a threaded barrel (which assumes BATFE would call the thread protector a "muzzle attachment"). So if you use a USA magazine you would need to change out one more part or just remove the thread protector. If all you want to do is use the USA magazines the easiest thing to do is just remove the thread protector. Then you could still switch back to the original foreign magazine easily. I think most folks here want to switch back to the true Saiga 12 configuration with a pistol grip and a non-Monte Carlo stock. Myself, I changed the fire control group (three parts), thread protector to a USA Chaos brake, forearm to a SureFire railed model, added a Tapco SAW grip and a Tapco T6 stock. If you live in a gun hostile state like CA, IL, MA, etc. then you may not be able to have large magazines or pistol grips. Be sure to check into that before making any changes.

922r doesn't deal with round capacity. Unless your state has a problem with it there is no limit on number of rounds.

Not exactly. 922r states that you can't possess a foreign assault weapon, or in proper terms, an imported "non-sporting" weapon.

Mag capacity over 5 rounds makes the gun non-sporting and thus subject to 922r.

922r doesn't deal with round capacity. Unless your state has a problem with it there is no limit on number of rounds.

Not exactly. 922r states that you can't possess a foreign assault weapon, or in proper terms, an imported "non-sporting" weapon.

Mag capacity over 5 rounds makes the gun non-sporting and thus subject to 922r.

922® only states you cannot assemble a rifle or shotgun that is prohibited from importation.

http://frwebgate1.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/T...action=retrieve

I believe it's USC 925(d)(3) that talks about firearms for "sporting purposes" and their importation. But it does not specifically state that a shotgun magazine capacity over five rounds makes it non-sporting. However it grants the Attorney General the authority to determine the criteria of a non-sporting firearm. That's how I read both regulations.

http://frwebgate4.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/T...action=retrieve

I searched for documentation stating that shotgun mags over five rounds make it non-sporting but I didn't find anything. If anyone can point me at the official document that would be great.

Palouse, here is the official parts list for all firearms (not Saiga 12 specific).

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/apr...27cfr478.39.htm