Cleaning up and found old (at least +15yrs) bag with goodies from a gunshow. There is a sks type stripper clip full of all copper colored, 7.62x39. Where the bullet is seated in the casing, there is reddish sealer? On the bottom around the primer, at opposite (180) sides are stamped a 13 and a 71. From what I remember, the vendor had alot of sardine tins full of already clipped up ammo. He gave me one to try and his card...I didn't even have a 7.62 gun...but a friend had an sks...so I threw it in the bag. Pretty sure he said it was AP ammo, but I didn't believe him cause the tip isn't any different. If anyone has an idea what is this stuff??? AP or corrosive primed, please let me know. Thanks for any help.

Chinese Military PS Ball (non-corrosive)

Not Norinco Commercial production but surplus mil that is no longer legal to import due to the steel core.

Top number indicates the factory that produced the ammo, bottom the year.

Only Chinese factories 31, 71, 311 and 351 made lead core ball. (maybe 61 also, but not sure) any other Chinese factory code will be steel core.

Thanks KrisFox...you are right and I posted wrong. The top is 31, not 13. So this is vintage 1971, non-corrosive, steel core, Chinese made ammo. The very tip of the bullet will hold a small magnet hanging...so it can't be all lead under the jacket. Should be safe to shoot in an ak or sks then?

• 1 month later...
Thanks KrisFox...you are right and I posted wrong. The top is 31, not 13. So this is vintage 1971, non-corrosive, steel core, Chinese made ammo. The very tip of the bullet will hold a small magnet hanging...so it can't be all lead under the jacket. Should be safe to shoot in an ak or sks then?

Very corrosive! All Chinese military is, only the later commercial ammo was 'claimed' to be non-corrosive. My brother ruined a mini 14 using their 'non-corrosive' .223! Don't take any chances and clean.