The quality depends solely on the builder. If you're looking at a TGI however, which uses the original Hungarian recievers, they should be awesome if you scrap the shitty ProMag it comes with. (although if you scrap the mag you'll have to watch your compliance!)

Generally they're lots of fun.

Edited by Agias

I have had 3 different ones over the past couple of years;

Pros: Looks cool, compact design, average AK quality

Cons: Inaccurate, loud as hell, shitty wire stock

2 that I owned were built by AK home builders and were pretty nice

The other one was a Century, yeah I know Century sucks, but suprisingly this one was better than the other two. The Century had a DCI reciever, a great finish, and like new wood grips. I give credit where credit is due.

I you find an AMD for around $450-$500 I would give some consideration, if nothing else its a good investment.

Hope that helps a little.

• 1 month later...

I just bought one for my birthday...It is the ugliest, prettiest, coolest rifle I have messed with in a while! The front grip is kind of awkward, but I got over it pretty quick. If I wanted accuracy, I would have bought something else. It is like my lovable bastard son. And if another ban takes effect, I am assured to loose no value if not gaining a substantial bit. I am going to test fire it soon with a bit of my reserve ammo. The construction seems to be a bit better than average (as far as AKs go).