I posted this in the general s12 area but figured I post here as well. I got my MD20 drum yesterday and I went to load it to see how hard it was to do. I got it loaded but not without a lot of cursing and scraped up fingers. It seemed very stiff and did not load smoothly at all, every shell I had to fight to get in. I was loading 2 3/4 low brass Remington STS shells. Is there a technique or something one can do to make loading easier? Thanks for the heads up.

-Scott

Load it a few times, it will smooth up.

I have a romanian 75rd drum for my AK and the MD20 is smooth next to that thing. :)

Thanks for the info. After busting up my fingers loading it 20 times last night it's finally loading much easier. As for the AK drum you need a Chinese or Bulgarian one, much easier to load and unload.

As a new first time MD-20 owner myself, I understand where you're coming from. I understand the drums ship with 3 turns on the mainspring, which is for the heavier rounds like slugs and buckshot. For the lighter loads, it might cause excessive pressure from the top round against the bottom of the carrier.

Anyway, how I like to load the drum is to use the index finger from one hand to push the follower (or top round) down a couple inches, then drop the next round in with my other hand, remove my finger and slide the round back. It works pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Corbin